Tank For Mts/pond Snail Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BaylorPerez

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Since i have gotten 2 assassin snails, i am curious as to what tank would be good to start breeding MTS and Pond snails for food for my 2 assassin snails. I was thinking about getting a 2 Gal Nano tank for them to breed, or would this be to small for them to start breeding. If so, what tank size would be good for a snail breeder snail?

How many snails do you intend to feed? 2?, I wouldn't bother breeding snails as food for 2 assassins they will gladly eat fish food. 

It would be easier to get a pond snail once a week as a treat most fish shops will gladly give you a few free.

I have tried this breeding of snails in a small 3 gallon tank with a simple sponge filter run by air pump.

It was not that successful really, i soon started getting planeria worms due to feeding the snails with fish food and tank turned a bit messy even with regular weekly water changes etc, while the snails did breed somewhat, it takes a while for them to grow to a suitable enough size for assassin snails to feast on.

Found it much easier to breed snails in my main tank and the assassins in another tank, when snails grew or overpopulate I simply take out a bunch of snails and add to the assassin snail tank every once in a while. I have about 20 odd assassin snails, well from what i can see anyway, they are burrowed in substrate most of the time so makes an accurate count impossible :lol: Best of both worlds that way ;)

By the way, not always best to feed assassin snails evry day or every week with snails, they are quite happy to munch on algae wafers and some leftover foods etc as well as bit of agae from plants and glass though not much at all tbh.

The only time ive gotten mts to breed was by accident. I'm a big ramshorn fan and theyre easier for assassins to eat

i feed my assassins sinking snail/lobster pellets as well as algae wafers/bloodworms and soon to be brine shrimp/cherry shrimp fry

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back