Tank Cycling Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rollxr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey everyone had a question, in the midst of tank cycling ,my filter had broke down at the date of November 10th, now my water is stagnant and ordering a filter will take a couple days. How many days will my water be safe before bad bacteria start breeding in my stagnant water? Ideally how many days is it safe to leave water with no aeration?

Hello. You don't need a filter to provide aeration. If you have some plastic tubing and an air pump, that will move the surface of the water until you get a filter. Just weigh down one end of the tubing with something a little heavy like a rock from your garden and turn on the air pump.

Hello. You don't need a filter to provide aeration. If you have some plastic tubing and an air pump, that will move the surface of the water until you get a filter. Just weigh down one end of the tubing with something a little heavy like a rock from your garden and turn on the air pump.

I don’t have any other extra aerators or air pumps and ordering one will take a few days. In the meantime can bacteria infest my still tank water?!? Tank has been stagnant since the 10th of November as a side note.

Hello again. You have no fish in the tank, so there's no need to worry about the cycle or the condition of the water. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You have no choice but to wait for the filter and pick up the cycle once the filter is in.

You do realize that, if you need and have dechlor, you can still do water changes. Every 3rd day change 1/3 -1/2 the water and it should be fine.

And every now and then when you walk by the tank, open the lid and swish the water with your hand. Make sure your hand is clean enough and if you wash them first, rinse well.

You do realize that, if you need and have dechlor, you can still do water changes. Every 3rd day change 1/3 -1/2 the water and it should be fine.

And every now and then when you walk by the tank, open the lid and swish the water with your hand. Make sure your hand is clean enough and if you wash them first, rinse well.
Well yesterday thursday i was able to add a aerator for the tank so for 6 days the tank had no aeration howver on the 6th day there is finally aeration. Will my tank be a breeding ground for bad bacteria though? Since there wasn’t aeration or no?

I doubt you will have any bad bacteria, but if you did I would think it is in the water and that water changes help with that. The issue is less bad bacteria an more in if one loses the good bacteria. normally that goes dormant when what it needs is no longer available. but when their food is again present they wake up and go back to work. Your good bacteria was barelt taking a nap. As long as there is ammonia available the good bacteria will be fine.

The thing to avoid is just reducing ammonia levels rateher than haveing them go to 0. In the firsyt case bacteria is lost while in the second it is basically in suspendied animation from which it can recover.

I doubt you will have any bad bacteria, but if you did I would think it is in the water and that water changes help with that. The issue is less bad bacteria an more in if one loses the good bacteria. normally that goes dormant when what it needs is no longer available. but when their food is again present they wake up and go back to work. Your good bacteria was barelt taking a nap. As long as there is ammonia available the good bacteria will be fine.

The thing to avoid is just reducing ammonia levels rateher than haveing them go to 0. In the firsyt case bacteria is lost while in the second it is basically in suspendied animation from which it can recover.
Thank you all, filter has arrived and aeration started

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back