Tank Cycling Product

Platygirl11

Fishaholic
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
565
Reaction score
1
Points
0
I was looking for ways to speed tank cycling, when I heard of a product called Tertra Safestart.
What does everyone think?
 
It basically doesnt work, your supposed to be able to add it to the water the same time as you add fish and it magically uses up the ammonia with bacteria that have been sat in a bottle on a shelf for lord knows how long, unfortunatley it doesnt and you will end up with a fish in cycle.
 
Only way these products work is if they have been refrigerated (costly for distributor) from production to delivery and kept in a fridge. They then still have a relatively short shelf-life so you would need a new fresh delivery for it even to have a chance of being successful.
 
Awww! I was curious, maybe I'll tast it, add ammonia, and then check the stats to see if it really works to cut back on ammonia and nitrite.
 
This is its description
" Tetra SafeStart - 100 mL

Immediately add fish to your new freshwater aquarium with Tetra SafeStart. Live nitrifying bacteria work instantly to remove ammonia and nitrite. Patented formula helps to seed your aquarium filter with nitra-digesting bacteria. Shelf stable liquid requires no refrigeration."
From(http://www.thatpetplace.com)

Might it work if I had overnight shipping? It's not that warm here during the night, so.... maybe?
 
Well I've been currently testing out the cycle product for myself Nutrafin Cycle basically same thing just one is made by Tetra and the other Nutrafin. I had 2 5 gal tanks with 4 zebra danios in each tank with same filter and set up. The one that I've been using the cycle product in as it states how to on back of bottle is already processing ammonia and nitrites after a week I've gone 2 days now in the one using cycle with amm and nitrite at zero and the other tank is currently having the normal fish in cycle stats. having to do at least 1 wc a day in the tank without the cycle in it.

So basically to each their own obviously people have had different experiences with these products in theory they shouldn't work unless they've been refrigerated as the bacteria would mostly die off in the bottle. However I guess I got a fresh bottle or there is some truth to these products working and people just quote off others that they don't work without having actually tried them themselves.
 
Hmmm. So maybe there is hope to this. I'll check out the little "fridge" at the lfs tomorrow. Maybe they'll have some in it!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top