Tank Building / Design Advice

JJ56

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm planning on setting up a 18x18x18 cube tank in my bedroom, and moving all of the equiptment and livestock from the 36x12x15 downstairs into it.

I have found a local tank building company who can build the tank to any spec I want (holes drilled, weir boxes, sliding coverglass etc). So I want to finalise the design. I want little equipment on show; but I can live with the odd powerhead etc. I don't really want a sump, due to the small space that the cabinet will provide, and as the tank is going to be in my room, I think the noise could be an issue. But if a sump would be beneficial, hit me with ideas.

So, I had the idea of a closed loop system. Having a inlet in the tank (either over the glass, or a hole drilled) leading into the cabinet, where it will feed a return pump. From there, a inline external heater, before returning back to the display. (again, either over the top of the tank, or a drilled hole)

I'd have to run a HOB skimmer and HOB filter containing rowaphos etc, due to not having a sump.

What are your thoughts? Any advice on what I should be asking for? holes etc? And any way to improve the design would be great!

Thanks!

JJ

I would always advise to having the tank drilled much tidier option.
I would also advise on having a sump. (no equipment in the tank)
Before I go any further, are you having a skimmer other than the hob and what lighting were you thinking of.
Regards
BigC

Hi, thanks for the quick reply BigC.

Lighting, I plan on using a single 150w MH, 14k bulb.

I currently only have a v2 nano skimmer, in tank design, so thought replacing it with a HOB skimmer would keep the tank tidier.

The reason I didn't plan for a sump was the small space in the cabinet (will be 18x18 area, want it small and tidy). Also the tank will be in my room, so no gurgling noises wanted. I have no experience with sumps, and they seem daunting. Also, if the tank / sump were to overflow upstairs, the parents would not be best pleased. Also, not sure on the cost of intergrating a sump.

Any thoughts? Thanks

JJ

What a fantastic build.

I consider myself quite 'handy' but this is something else!

Threads like this make me realize just how much of this hobby i have left to explore!

Well played :good:

Looking forward to seeing any updates!

:drool:

Before we talk about your skimmer options I would, if it were me make a small internal weir either central or in one corner.
You will need a weir comb to sit on top of the weir you want your water level to just flow through your comb and no more.
Inside the weir I would have 2x 25mm overflow pipes (reef safe) these will be connect into two bulkheads (tank connectors) One pipe will be 25mm lower than the weir wall and the other will be about 100mm at the bottom of the weir. Once through the bottom of the tank and pre- sump the pipe is connected into appropriate sized gate valves. The long pipe gate valve is fully open and the short pipe gate valve is adjusted (when running) to muffle the sound, so it runs virtually silent.
I would drill another hole in the weir for the return and bring this through the weir wall with a bend attached.
Here is my old tank albeit on a larger scale to illustrate what I mean

Picture386.jpg

Regards
C

Thanks for that, I had read your stickied topic, but I wasn't sure exactly how the plumbing worked.

Nice design, but I'm wondering if a weir box that size would be a bit dominating in a small cube tank? Hmmm. I'll have a think, but thanks BigC, very helpful! :good:

On a side note, I found this tank:

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194775

Which uses a closed loop system. It looks good, but I dont like the return pipe, doesnt seem like it would give a good return to the tank? And, would still require a HOB skimmer, no sump to hide stuff in.

Ideas welcome!

JJ

My old Nano

Picture266-1.jpg

and the smallest sump in the world....unless you know different lol

Picture220.jpg

Regards
C

Hide everything that you can in a sump M8, no good having a stunning tank filled with pumps, heaters, skimmers and the likes.
Totally detracts from the scape.
Read and research, take things slowly.
ATB
C

You could also go with the closed loop system as in your link.
with an external in-line heater.
Not much difference except you will be dosing directly into your aquarium
Good luck with the build
Regards
C

Right, you may have just sold me BigC! That sump is well tidy considering it's size. (Beautiful tank mate, I read the journal last year when starting my first tank!)

Would you reccomend the return coming from inside the weir box as you have it? Looks tidy. Do you have the dimensions of the weir box? Wonder if a smaller one would still fit the plumbing.

Just need to cost the sumpted setup, see if it will come within budget.

Thanks once again.

JJ :)

Just went through and costed both the sump and the closed loop systems, unfortunatly, don't think I can run a sump without compromising on other things which I need.

Going to go closed loop, so have a listen and tell me what you guys think.

18x18x18 cube, two holes drilled in the bottom corner of the tank. (the corner of the tank facing the corner of my bedroom walls, not seen)
One will have a short outlet pipe in it, capped on top and drilled to let water from the display. The inlet will come back up through the other hole, and use one of them adjustable black flexi pipes to direct flow back in the tank.

The scape will completly hide both of these, with the rock building up toward the rear of the upper tank corner.

(The good thing about this design is that if I need to in the future, I can just stick a standpipe and weir box in, and run a sump! Should the need ever arise.)

Now, with a closed loop system, is there any way to run a skimmer under the tank using the closed loop plumbing? (run it externally) eg: tank outlet - heater - skimmer - return pump - tank outlet.

Thanks

JJ

Right, few questions regarding the closed loop design. Been doing some research and got this far.

Basically, I need to incorporate:

(tank outlet)
external inline heater
inline media chamber (for rowaphos etc)
skimmer
return pump
(tank inlet)

...under the tank, in a closed loop system. Heres my questions.

What order should this equiptment be in? From outlet to inlet. Will the pump like sucking water from the tank through all of that equiptment? Or should it push through all of this equiptment?

What skimmer can be used in a closed loop? (eg will take a inlet from a external dry pump and run completly externally)

What size holes / bulkheads / pipework should be drilled and fitted to the tank? pretty cruical.

What size pump should I go for? I want the pump to deal with most of the tanks turnover, and will push water through the display via one pipe which will be split into 2 nozzles in the tank behind the liverock. I wish to keep some sps, so will require a decent turnover.

Thanks!

JJ

OK bare with me on this.
First of all I would go for an Eheim 1260 Universal pump
634 gph with a max head of 12.1 feet at 65 watts. Input 25/34 mm, output 16/22 mm.
Buy the pump first then work out what what bulkheads fit the pipework. (you may need adaptors)
You should also buy some barbed pipe connectors to suit your inlet and outlets and some taps to isolate your equipment when needed.
I would drill one hole in the base (central outlet) and 2 further holes each side of the back about 75mm down and 75mm in. (these are your split returns) again with bulkheads and barbed pipe connectors.
Inside the aquarium I would add 2x 45' Bends to your inlets for directional flow.
Then I would purchase a SCWD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=133tgjyPIyQ

http://www.coralculture.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=32_47_93

Outlet -> Pump -> Heater -> SCWD -> Split Inlets

You will need a hang on skimmer.

Regards
C

Sounds spot on BigC!

Thanks alot, hopefully I can model something in sketchup and report back for final details.

Cheers mate, JJ :)

I do think a SCWD is the most cost effective way of doing this.
ATB
C

Also, just thinking about flood safety. I know in a closed loop system, if the pump fails then no water will be lost from the display, no issues at all!

However, if there is a leak in the under tank plumbing, the tank would empty itself right down to the outlet pipe. Now, on the tank I linked to, this is a very short outlet, meaning lots of water could leak out. Is it advisable to have the outlet pipe come up to near the waterline? This means if there is a leak, little water will empty.

I want all aspects covered with this build, would rather ask questions now than have issues later.

Thanks, JJ

Most reactions

Back