Tang Tank Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noodles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok, still considering converting my current community 29gallon to the tang set up, and loads of really useful info on here. But I have a couple of questions that I cant see the answer too. Help much appreciated!

Obviously a tang tank doesnt have to have plants as this is not their natural habitat, but what happens to algae growth in these set ups without plants to help. In the cookie cutter set up some have bn plecs, but others dont. Can I assume that in these other set ups the types of tangs themself will sort out algae? or is it just algae scrubbing and water replacement all the time? Problem being my tap water has high nitrate levels, and RO water is not going to go down well!!

Which brings me to my next question, what type of lighting should be used? Plant growth is no longer an issue, infact lower lighting would reduce algae growth, just what is the best solution for the tank, the fish, and my viewing pleasure!

Noticed in my local shop that they had some nice daffodils, now I know these are supposedly now the same species as brichardi - of which there is lots of advice on keeping these and the agression issues, but is this the same with daffodils? I know sounds a dumb question being that they are similar/identical species but please humour me!!

Think thats it for now.

cheers

The tangs wont keep down the algae the majority that are usually kept are micropredators. So you'll need to clean the glass yourself. Personally I would leave it on the rocks, as it makes them look more weathered and natural. How high is the value of nitrates in your tapwater? This fish really dont like nitrates and most sources recommend keeping them below 20ppm.

Lighting is down to your personal preference really, some people say bright some say just use ambient room light.

All the fish in the brichardi complex are REALLY aggresive when breeding. IMO its best to keep them in a species tank. TBH in a 29G I would just put 6 juveniles and reduce them down to a pair when one forms.

Even 1 pair can create havoc and you will know when there breeding, i have just 1 now in my tank with other tank mates and it's nice and calm.
They are nice fish though lovely flowing fins when in full health.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back