Taking The Jump!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LiamGoodaire

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys, looking forward to setting up my 1st marine tank. This is the tank we are getting once the LFS get their next palette of tanks in as they only have the bow front left ...

rocketaquatics.co.uk/aquael-econoline-rectangular-tropical-aquarium-cabinet-p-4503.html?osCsid=g2pj9ku0881n7dvc46ivk2g4o3

1st question is basically id prefer a sump on the cabinet if possible, but no latter how hard I look I can't find the dimensions of the cabinet anywhere, anyone know or could help find the size out please?

I know for coals I would require better lighting which I will upgrade however in no rush as obviously needs to mature 1st

How much live rock would you recommend for that size? Is live sand necessary?

Any advice on DIY sumps would be appreciated or any info regardless is muchly appreciated

Cheers goodaire

Hello, Welcome to the saltie side!

Sorry, I cannot help with the cabinet dimensions.

Live sand is no where near necessary. All you need is aragonite sand, which is a calcium based sand and helps to raise and balance your pH.
For live rock, you'll want at least 6kg to cycle the tank, with 12kg being the goal.

This is a great starting resource for DIY sumps, some great ideas/designs: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Cheers nemo!
That guy has some great sump plans, might end up purchasing a sump however depending on the cabinet size. The reason I was going to make one was because I have an old tank long around.
Any other recommended type of filtration? Eg. external filter which is a good price and would be suitable
Could somebody help .me also list the other equipment that you reccomend

Cheers goodaire

Cheers nemo!
That guy has some great sump plans, might end up purchasing a sump however depending on the cabinet size. The reason I was going to make one was because I have an old tank long around.
Any other recommended type of filtration? Eg. external filter which is a good price and would be suitable
Could somebody help .me also list the other equipment that you reccomend

Cheers goodaire

You can Use canister filters to house LR rubble and other media but there's no point if you intend on having a sump as all the equipment,LR,filter media can go in there.

Other equip could be a protein skimmer which is highly recommended. Especially the tank will succumb to a heavy bioload. Other equipment could be a carbon/phosphate/calcium reactor.

Phosphate and calcium are only required if you intend on keeping hard corals etc.
Although it would be good to Run phos remover (rowaphos or phosban) to keep any nuisance algae at bay.
Carbon would also be good to keep the water clear.
All this could go in your sump, either in a reactor or in media bags in an area of high flow.

Cheers woody98
Yes preferably if I can fit a sump then I will so fingers crossed but can't seem to find the dimensions. how do some of you guys go about preparing your water for say filling the tank and water changes?

cheers goodaire

You can buy pre mixed salt RO water from lfs but it's usually naff stuff tbh.

Best way is to buy a RO unit or buy plain RO water (£2.50 for 25 L usually) and buy a good quality pro reef salt tub and mix it yourself.
You will need a container for mixing, plain RO water, reef salt (ain't cheap), a powerhead or pump to mix it, a heater to get it up to temp (25 degrees) and a refractometer for measuring the salinity (1.025 @ 25 degrees).

RO unit, I have a osmotics 4 stage unit: this one!

Refractometer I have a D+D one but I bought it 2nd hand

TDS Meter again 2nd hand but you can get them on ebay!

Salt is personal preference to many but I use Red Sea Coral Pro and buy here (can send a PM with 10% off code too!)

Powerheads wise a lot of people will only use the expensive ones :D but I use these guys

Heaters I would recommend getting one with a guard, I just worry about snails etc climbing and burning themselves on it if it is in the tank! Also get 2 for the tank in case one fails :D

Any food safe tub for mixing is ok

I wont suggest a skimmer as I am limited with experience with them although I thik deltec is recommended :D

Although others will have other opinions :good:

Wow! Thanks weezawoo!
Great amount of.info there thanks, I will now look at all the products you use and thanks for offering the promo code ill let you know if trays what I decide on
What size is tour tank mate? Hoe long.you had yours running for?

Cheers goodaire

psssttt... *i wouldnt take her advice on ro units, she seems to have bad luck* :lol:

Most reactions

Back