Elisabeth83
Fish Herder
So what are your views of taking fish back to a pet shop or your lfs?
I have on a few occasions taken fish back to my lfs if they haven't worked out or if I need some room in my tanks. I've also taken in numerous amounts of fry for store credit.
At the moment I want to start keeping different types of fish like dwarf cichlids, shaoling fish, anabantoids and what not but some of my current tanks are housing fish that I first started out with like mollies (only fish in the tank due to salt). I have 7 tanks but I can't afford/fit another tank in my apartment so if I want to get new fish I've got to get rid of some of my other fish.
I'm in two minds about this. In one way I feel its wrong to get rid of fish you've had for awhile but in another way I feel if I don't get rid of them I wont be able to start keeping fish that I am into now. If I had an unlimited amount of tanks I'd have no problems keeping them. Do you think once you get a fish should you then have to keep it forever?
Also what are your views about getting fish trying them out but then realize they arn't what you expected/wanted. Is it ok to return them?
I have on a few occasions taken fish back to my lfs if they haven't worked out or if I need some room in my tanks. I've also taken in numerous amounts of fry for store credit.
At the moment I want to start keeping different types of fish like dwarf cichlids, shaoling fish, anabantoids and what not but some of my current tanks are housing fish that I first started out with like mollies (only fish in the tank due to salt). I have 7 tanks but I can't afford/fit another tank in my apartment so if I want to get new fish I've got to get rid of some of my other fish.
I'm in two minds about this. In one way I feel its wrong to get rid of fish you've had for awhile but in another way I feel if I don't get rid of them I wont be able to start keeping fish that I am into now. If I had an unlimited amount of tanks I'd have no problems keeping them. Do you think once you get a fish should you then have to keep it forever?
Also what are your views about getting fish trying them out but then realize they arn't what you expected/wanted. Is it ok to return them?
Right now my niece is trying to convince me to take on sailfin mollies...it seems she accidentally bought a female along with four males...you can imagine the results!
I've said maybe I'll take some when I return from holidays. My daughter says she can take 10 as pets but she'll take 50 tiny fry if she can let her cichlids snack on them!
That didn't go over well with my niece but honestly she's got fry everywhere now. I mean TONS. She is planning on segregating the female asap.

IMO we have no more right to treat fish that way then any other creature. Like you said, you have 7 tanks! That's one helluvah lot.
I started off with 1 tank thinking that was all I would need that I could keep all the fish I want in that one tank. I soon found out that fish require different types of care and a lot of the fish I had were unsuitable tankmates thus me getting a second and third tank.







