Taking A Walk On The Wild Side. :)

lljdma06

Retired moderator :)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi!

I just wanted to share. About a week ago, I was reading the Horst Linke book on anabantoids, and learning a lot, and decided to check out my favorite LFS. There, I purchased two male B. imbellis, at least I'm 75% positive they're male. :rolleyes: The poor dears were confined to a quaranteen tank, and living off yummy treats. Well, my snail eater, Hunding, was removed from my 15g tank, and now has a special spot on my desk with Gunther. He's already building a bubble nest.

The B. imbellis were placed in my 15g planted tank and all I can say is WOW! These fish rock! Here is a really lousy picture. As they get better settled, I will send more pics. Right now, they are a little stressed, and quite elusive, as this new home is quite large and very heavily planted. I caught one scoping out the side of the tank.

b_imbellis.jpg

I am excited about this acquisition as this is the direction I eventually want to go with my fish-keeping. Anabantoids are amazing fish. I also have Indian Almond leaf on the way, so all is good in my betta world. Sorry to be bragging.

:rolleyes:

Welcome to the Wild Side! I'm sure you'll find its quite nice over here. Be careful, you might just catch Wild Fever (I seem to have a terribly chronic case of it myself, I'm even setting up the fish room specially for wild bettas..................). Lovely little imbellis you have. Looking forward to more pics as they settle in. :thumbs:

Woohoo, congrats on the new arrivals! Careful, they might just steal your heart ;)
One thing about the wilds -- cover every single opening to the tank, seriously. They can jump out of the smallest spaces!

Woohoo, congrats on the new arrivals! Careful, they might just steal your heart ;)
One thing about the wilds -- cover every single opening to the tank, seriously. They can jump out of the smallest spaces!

Will do! And I thought Siegmund was bad! Boy, he's a jumper! Feeding him is a little intimidating. I just checked, no carcases lying about, so things are ok. I've been partying with friends, which I never get to do. Today will be a late night. :S

No idea as to names yet. I'm always open to suggestions. I've already exhausted Wagner, so I figured Tolkien was next. I'm such a :nerd:

How do the males get on with each other? I know Imbellis are pretty peaceful but I didn't know if it applied to 2 males or female/male combinations.

How do the males get on with each other? I know Imbellis are pretty peaceful but I didn't know if it applied to 2 males or female/male combinations.

The males actually get along rather well. The tank is a heavily planted 15g, so it is hard for them to locate each other. I have trouble finding them myself. They love to bum around underneath my anubia. From what I observed in their quaranteen tank, there is a tiny bit of posturing, but nothing more. My B. spledens plakats would eat them for lunch. I wouldn't add any more, though. But when I get a larger tank in FL, I can definitely see myself including a group of imbellis, perhaps several pairs, but only if the tanks are planted to the level I have now.

I was thinking of talking a walk on the wild side myself, with a pair of Betta Mahachia... but in the end just got another pair of Splenden's.

By the way, keep the tank well covered. WILDS CAN JUMP!!!

I was thinking of talking a walk on the wild side myself, with a pair of Betta Mahachia... but in the end just got another pair of Splenden's.

By the way, keep the tank well covered. WILDS CAN JUMP!!!

I noticed, the tank is covered and holes are plugged. No way those suckers are squeezing out my tank!

Morg and Lou are great fish. And they come from one of my coutnrymen, Morris Gabriel. I don't regret buying them.. but you are really making me rethink my decision no to get the Mahachai :D

Morg and Lou are great fish. And they come from one of my coutnrymen, Morris Gabriel. I don't regret buying them.. but you are really making me rethink my decision no to get the Mahachai :D

:lol: :lol:

What's funny is that it was Hunding, my plakat, that got me started on researching. Remember when it was thought he might have been an imbellis hybrid? So I got a book to do some research and bingo! Now I have imbellis. I have many betta and anabantoid plans when I move back to FL. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Most reactions

Back