Tadpoles

steve...c

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi there

is there anyway i can ID what my tadpoles iare going to be when fully grown, i found them on a waste land in a old pot with about a inch of water. i think as there was only 2 in the pot that someone had collected them from a pond near by and had second thoughts and just dumped them in the field. ive had them about a month and there back legs are just starting to grow and they are still jet black in colour.

thanks

i dont get what you mean :p

if you mean Frogs and Toads, there is no anatomical difference between the two (people just recon they can tell the difference)

ETA: from personal experience though, i've found that frogspawn looks like typical random blobs of jelly all over the place, whereas toad-spawn (? lol?) is in strings

i dont get what you mean :p

if you mean Frogs and Toads, there is no anatomical difference between the two (people just recon they can tell the difference)

ETA: from personal experience though, i've found that frogspawn looks like typical random blobs of jelly all over the place, whereas toad-spawn (? lol?) is in strings

yes thats what i mean, frog,toad or newts, as i said i found them as tadpoles so didnt get to see what there spawn looked like.

thanks for the reply, guess i will have to wait to see :lol:

oo i never thought of newts :eek: let me know if they are! you should post some to me if they are newts ;) lol

you dont get them up north? :lol: its hard not to find in my local ponds.

we do get them, in a sense
but i have only ever seen two? in my life time, which just sucks
Itd be nice to get two and keep in a tank and breed them and let them go in my pond :D

we do get them, in a sense
but i have only ever seen two? in my life time, which just sucks
Itd be nice to get two and keep in a tank and breed them and let them go in my pond :D

id say its pretty much impossible to breed them in tanks, they are very perticular when it comes to breeding grounds, its not a easy task to find there spawn either as they lay eggs individualy wraped in leaves lol good luck with that one :lol: :good:

releasing a few in your pond would be better, and making a few log piles, and hope there is not a better pond within 50meter of yours :lol:

id say its pretty much impossible to breed them in tanks, they are very perticular when it comes to breeding grounds, its not a easy task to find there spawn either as they lay eggs individualy wraped in leaves lol good luck with that one :lol: :good:

haha it would seem I've somehow cluelessly managed to get mine to lay eggs...

haha it would seem I've somehow cluelessly managed to get mine to lay eggs...

nice one :good: , what species?

Usually toads have black tadpoles, but a picture would be a big help. Do you know what to feed them?

Usually toads have black tadpoles, but a picture would be a big help. Do you know what to feed them?

i will try and get a pic in a min, ive been feeding it lettuce leaves and it eats a aquatic plant i put in the tank from my other tank,it still hasnt got its back legs yet so its fine at the mo i think?

Tadpoles like boiled romaine lettuce and aquatic plants, they also eat crushed algae wafers, frog and tadpole bites, and crushed goldfish flakes, I say goldfish because those flakes have the most plant matter.

Tadpoles like boiled romaine lettuce and aquatic plants, they also eat crushed algae wafers, frog and tadpole bites, and crushed goldfish flakes, I say goldfish because those flakes have the most plant matter.

he seems to like the lettuce ive been giving him aswell, had it a month and it has grown big n stong :good: and at what stag do they become more omnivorous?

Well usually when back legs are getting larger they will eat a bit of chopped bloodworms with their food. So probably now it will eat some. Then once it becomes and adult frog/toad all it will eat is bugs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back