T5 Vs T8 Lighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, 

I've been pondering this for a while and doing a bit of research but can't seem to get a clean cut answer. 

I currently have an Aqua One 850 (165L) fully planted. The tank comes with 3 T8 globes. White, Blue and Pink. 

For quite some time, I've been reading that T5's are better then T8's. 

• Can anyone explain to me why?

• Are they more beneficial to plants?

• What are the cost differences?

• Can I change my T8's for T5's, or is it not as simple?

I understand that T5's are smaller in diameter than the T8's, but that's pretty much all I know about them. I've looked into LED's but they're a little out of my price range for now. 

Any info would be great, thanks. 

Here's a start for you!
smile.png

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/295071-t5-vs-t8/

Wow, that was a lot to take in. 

So basically (correct me if I'm wrong), only the T5HO's are better then T8's, they penetrate deeper water? But they require electronic ballasts where as T8's use magnetic ballasts, making the T5's more efficient. 

So, if I wanted to change the T8's in my tank, I just have to change the ballasts to electronic ones, and whack in some T5 globes??

I think that's right. I've just been through the thread too and going over it again to make sure I understand it all!
smile.png

I believe, if its the tank lighting system I think.. you would have to completely destroy the light unit to fit in a T5 one..

Blast. Guess I'll have to look into getting another tank :p

I would :D find one that comes with T5s already! Though don't be duped by Juwel tanks, good lighting, cost you more to rip out shoddy filtration system and get external lol.

Most Aqua One tanks that aren't the plastic (aqua start) range come with T5s :) and AquaManta tanks.... im not sure if the Fluval ones have sorted themselves out with T5s yet....  or custom build and but a t5 unit :)

I assume your tank has that plastic casing around the tubes and the ballast is all part of the hood?

MBOU said:
I would
biggrin.png
find one that comes with T5s already! Though don't be duped by Juwel tanks, good lighting, cost you more to rip out shoddy filtration system and get external lol.

Most Aqua One tanks that aren't the plastic (aqua start) range come with T5s
smile.png
and AquaManta tanks.... im not sure if the Fluval ones have sorted themselves out with T5s yet....  or custom build and but a t5 unit
smile.png

I assume your tank has that plastic casing around the tubes and the ballast is all part of the hood?
Yeah I plan on getting a custom built 6x2x2 which i want fully planted, so I'll be looking at full on lighting. I wish i could afford LED's but I simply can't :(

And yeah, mine is all built into the hood. I like it because it makes everything look really neat and tidy, but a shame about the lights!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back