Sword plant not growing as nice as in store?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

silicon_dt

Reaction score
Hello all!

I recently bought a moneywort and sword plant from petsmart. The sword plant looked awsome in the store. For some reason it seems like all the new leaves that are growing on the sword plant are simply not as nice looking as the original ones. They are brownish and droopy. Anyone else ran into this problem? They are planted in gravel.

Also I have had these plants in there for 2-3 months and my nitrate still doesn't seem to not rise as fast. Do you basically have to have TONS of plants to get a nitrate drop? Thanks!!!

--Daniel

Silicon_dt,

What type & wattage of light do you have for your tank?

The quickest way to reduce your nitrates using plants is to get some really fast growing plants like Hornwort or Egeria densa. They grow like crazy with very little light and suck up nutrients.

I use a 20 watt nutri grow plant light. I replaced the stock light that came with the tank kit.

Also my heater was really close to the plant so maybe that was the problem.

I also had a bad outbreak of brown algie. Could this be one of the causes of the brown droopy leaves?

Thanks!!!

Brown Algae indicates low lights

increase the lights and you might find the Sward grows better was well,

Also 20Watts is not enough unless you have a 8Gal tank
you must try to have 2 - 3 watts of full spectrum light for each Gallon of water

It is a 29 gallon tank. I got the light at petsmart. It looked OK for what I wanted. I guess it is way underpowered though. So I would need like a 80+ watt light?? Do they make lights that powerfull that will fit into my hood?

If not, would I have to buy a whole new hood? And how much do these normally run, and where can you buy one?

Thanks!!!

You could get a Compact Flourescent fixture that would fit in the same place as yours. Here is a link to the Coralife Freshwater lights for sale CF Strips

and here is a link to retrofits for your stock hood to give it CF lighting

AH Supply

eaiter way you can get a lot of light for a reasonable price

I experimented with my current light by holding it 4 inches above the water, like the coralife one would be. There was a really bright reflection from the water that is pretty destracting if your standing up looking at the tank.

I also bought an all glass hood, and the reflection off it was even worse.

Does anyone have this setup, and if so, is the reflection pretty bad?

Thanks!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back