Swollen Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmtotheBurr

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi :)
So I have all male platy but I noticed today about two of them have huge stomachs all of a sudden.... Does anyone know why or if platy can change gender?
Photo for reference. Swollen platy on the bottom is Picasso and above him is Poppy for stomach comparison.

I don't see any raised scales... (It would indicate dropsy) Maybe constipated? I've heard using peas as a laxative (only using the inside of the shell) can help with it. Another option is maybe is prego??

Another option is maybe is prego??
That's what I was thinking, Especially if she was in the same tank with as little as 1 male when you got her.

Also

Live bearers can become pregnant several times  from just 1 encounter with a male, they can store sperm for up to 6 months.

Well you stated in your post that you have all males. Picasso here is DEFINITELY not a male. That anal fin is far too wide to be a male. So congratulations, your little FEMALE Picasso is expecting!

He looks better this morning. I think he was bloated. I'm fairly certain they are all boys. We sexed them on the forum and I took back the only girl in the group. The other one who was overly fat looks better too.
I gave them some blood worms for the first time yesterday and I wonder if he has just gourged himself. They were all using the bathroom like crazy but now everyone looks good.

Stomach looks much better this morning

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back