Switching Tanks

MisterCee

New Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I need to move my 55 gallon, partially planted, community set up to a new room in the house. Since I have to move, I am taking the opportunity to replace the tank as it is 25 years old and some of the joints look a little suspect. I am also changing out the nice purple gravel for something more natural looking. The tank has been set up about 3 years.

My plan is to transfer the established water, some large pieces of slate and and existing Emporer power filter w/bio wheels to the new set up. Do you guys think that will be enough to not interrupt and maintain the biological filter or should I transfer some of the old gravel to the new setup as well? If so, could I simply wrap some up in some type of fine netting etc. to keep it separated?

Thanks for any help.
 
The other things you're doing might be enough to maintain the biological filter, but better safe than sorry, right? I've heard of people using pantyhose to put in seasoned gravel without mixing it with the new gravel. Maybe you could start with a few of these "gravel packets" and gradually remove them as bacteria colonize the new gravel.
 
I have a 55 that I've moved at least 5 times, and changed gravel once. Fast the fish for 24 hours before the tank replacement & gravel switch, and feed lightly for the next week, about 1/3 normal. Less food means less waste produced.

Keep your filter media wet with old tank or other dechlored water during the move and it will be fine.

Your water is not established, the bacteria in your filter media is. I've always went with 100% fresh when relocating tanks, which I do on a regular basis with my setup. If your fish are used to regular water changes there is no reason to use old tank water.

You can go with the old gravel in a sock, with the decrease in feeding I've never had to do this when changing substrate.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top