Switched from gravel to sand for my corydoras, and still worried about their barbels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Yes I do, the size of the grain of sand is suitable for Corydoras. (I donā€™t think the OPā€™s is suitable, seems a bit big to me. Itā€™s hard to judge through a photo though...)

That is play sand. Some that they have made before, are a courser grain than what we are used to seeing.

I also recognize the bag color/variation - that is the stuff I used to use, until they got rid of it. Now, I get the stuff in the brown bag.
OK, we don't have that here. Can the cories sift that size grain through their gills?

View attachment 116910View attachment 116911View attachment 116912View attachment 116913

This is the packaging. I saw there is some pool filter sand available. In the reviews many people have used it for aquariums. I want something thats not too light coloured though.
All the finer sand kinda sinks to the bottom and the pieces that are a bit bigger sit on top. I might be able to sift it maybe. Otherwise I just have a 25kg bag of sand I dont know what to do with...

This is the dark grey mix of Quikrete Play Sand that I use, and it is absolutely ideal for an aquarium. It is the most highly refined of the industrial-type sands. Not all play sand is the same, but Quikrete is good and safe.

Pool filter sand is not as good, it is rougher in texture. It does not matter how many people may use it, the fact remains it is still more rough and that is best avoided. It is also usually white, which is certainly not good in any aquarium.

Looks to be a coarser one. Its an approved brand, @Byron recommends it a lot, but not sure if it is normally that coarse. He may know more on that.

The barbels may be a little pink as the substrate was just changed so it may take a little for beneficial bacteria in the substrate to establish well. Keep an eye on this, it may improve over time, but may turn into full blown infection. Id do heavy water changes to prevent this.

Id take a chopstick and stir the sand a little every week as well. Both to keep the finer grains at the surface as it settled and to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming.

It was changed about a month ago.
I stir it each week to prevent dangerous pockets from forming

Actually you can use gravel if youā€™re worrying about sand, just make sure the gravel are not sharp.
I had round gravel before. You can see it in the cups in the background (I left it in so I didnt offset the cycle). I seemed to have the same issue to losing barbels,

Yes I do, the size of the grain of sand is suitable for Corydoras. (I donā€™t think the OPā€™s is suitable, seems a bit big to me. Itā€™s hard to judge through a photo though...)

That is play sand. Some that they have made before, are a courser grain than what we are used to seeing.

I also recognize the bag color/variation - that is the stuff I used to use, until they got rid of it. Now, I get the stuff in the brown bag.

I found a small sieve that only allows pieces size 1mm in width through and tested it with a handful of this sand. It sifted out the bigger looking bits, so I was thinking maybe I can try that before going and spending more money on new stuff.

I found a small sieve that only allows pieces size 1mm in width through and tested it with a handful of this sand. It sifted out the bigger looking bits, so I was thinking maybe I can try that before going and spending more money on new stuff.
Sounds like it'll be a lot of work but should be a solution

1600669734024.png
1600669757465.png

sifted the gravel through a strainer. Does this look like it should be a fine size?

I noted that the ph in your tank was 7.6 I think. Years ago I did some work on this and coradoras that spent prolonged periods in Alkaline water tended to have shorter or no barbels. Those that lived in acid water say 6.5 feared much better. Just a thought.

1600673661696.png

Still feel like I am not doing something right. nose is quite red today. One barbel is almost gone too! :(

I noted that the ph in your tank was 7.6 I think. Years ago I did some work on this and coradoras that spent prolonged periods in Alkaline water tended to have shorter or no barbels. Those that lived in acid water say 6.5 feared much better. Just a thought.

I wish my ph was a bit more neutral. Most of my tanks naturally sit around 7.8. I only have one that sits around 7.2, cause it has wood in it.

Was doing some more reading online, and that even with the gravel it probably would have been ok. It seems to only be getting worse. One has almost no barbels at all now and his nose is quite red. He seems irritated and rubs his face on the sand.
I was thinking about getting some meds for bacterial infections.
Has anyone tried Api Melafix?
Seen other recommendations for a bit of salt (1-2 tsp per gallon) but havent had success in the past with salt for treating sick guppies, so I have lost some faith in it.

Try more plant. I always aim for 30 -50% of the tank volume in plant. Make sure you have a neutral base and don't be tempted to over water change. Acidic conditions are what we should aim for it sorts out most of the other problems associated with fish keeping. If that doesn't work you can always add a little peat that will soften the water and drive the ph down

Try more plant. I always aim for 30 -50% of the tank volume in plant. Make sure you have a neutral base and don't be tempted to over water change. Acidic conditions are what we should aim for it sorts out most of the other problems associated with fish keeping. If that doesn't work you can always add a little peat that will soften the water and drive the ph down

I have been slowly adding pieces of wood. I want to plant the tank more, I just only buy a couple plants at a time since they are at least $5 each. (been waiting to trade in guppy babies for plants).
The water I have here is actually very soft water, only the ph is high. GH/KH both very low, so I have added some cuttlebone just to keep the kh at 3/4 so I dont get ph swings, and some equilibrium, so the GH is at 8.

UPDATE: I cleaned the sand with a siphon and did a 50% water change. Two days later I siphoned the sand again and did a 40% water change. Then two days later did a 30% water change. Then 3 days later another 30% change. I am now doing a 25% water change each week. Also the GH was around 10, I dunno know if it helped but I thought cories do better in softer water so I very slowly reduced it a bit with water changes. I think its at 6 now. After 3 days one still looked kinda bad, but now their faces are not red or pink. One only has one short barbel left, but they seem clear of infections now, and they are swimming around and eating. The one that is missing a barbel doesnt seem to like to stick his face in the sand. I am hoping it grows back a bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back