Swim Bladder in Angelfish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I've had this angelfish for just about two months now, used to have three but the other two naturally died over time. This morning I noticed him slumped against the wood in my tank. Thought it was dead so I started trying to scoop it up with the net. It started swimming off and batting its fins at me, but it was swimming sideways and upside down. Not sure if it has swim bladder or it's just about to pass.

Water parameters are:
0.00ppm ammonia
0.25ppm nitrite
7pH
25-27C (weekly)
~Very hard~ water (South England, worst in the country but no GH/KH)

Only symptom is that the fish is upside down, only noticed this today.

~15% water changes every week, most recent was ~75% due to ICH outbreak

Currently treating the tank for white spot with King British white spot control. Also using fluval biological enhancer weekly (since I got the tank).

Tank is admittedly overstocked but everything is very friendly. Tank mates include male guppies, rummy nose tetras, black neon tetras, congo tetras, albino corys, bronze corys, sailfin pleco, common pleco, kuhli loaches, (one) vampire shrimp, red tail black shark.

The tank is 170L, 43.5"w x 18"h x 18"d.

Last fish added were 3 albino corydoras on the 1st of March (2021) before the white spot outbreak.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Attachments

• phillip.jpg
    phillip.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 42
  • phillippp.jpg
    phillippp.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 37
  • horrible little man.jpg
    horrible little man.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 40
Currently treating the tank for white spot, using fluval biological enhancer weekly.
Why are you treating white spot with a filter bacteria supplement?
To treat white spot you need to either use chemical medications that contain Malachite Green or Copper, or you raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for a couple of weeks.

The fish could be dying from white spot or any number of issues.

Why are you treating white spot with a filter bacteria supplement?
To treat white spot you need to either use chemical medications that contain Malachite Green or Copper, or you raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for a couple of weeks.
Sorry, worded that poorly. I'm not treating the white spot with the enhancer. I am using white spot treatment, but I ALSO use the biological enhancer weekly as I have been for a few months now. Sorry for the confusion.

Since your other Angels died unexpectedly there may be some water quality issues and fresh water is often the best medicine. Have you stayed on top of routine partial water changes? Regardless, you might do a series of partial water changes and tank maintenance to increase the water quality.
---
I'm sorry, but most often when fish begin to do what I call 'death rolls', it's most often too late to do much. I'd be careful about additives in an effort to save a failing fish, as they may negatively affect otherwise healthy fish. (I rarely, if ever, use meds and here and there, fish expire - it just happens).
---
Also, you do not need to keep adding bacterial supplements as once you have a healthy BB colony(ies) you don't need anything more...it's just marketing hype to get you to keep buying 'stuff'.

Since your other Angels died unexpectedly there may be some water quality issues and fresh water is often the best medicine. Have you stayed on top of routine partial water changes? Regardless, you might do a series of partial water changes and tank maintenance to increase the water quality.
---
I'm sorry, but most often when fish begin to do what I call 'death rolls', it's most often too late to do much. I'd be careful about additives in an effort to save a failing fish, as they may negatively affect otherwise healthy fish. (I rarely, if ever, use meds and here and there, fish expire - it just happens).
---
Also, you do not need to keep adding bacterial supplements as once you have a healthy BB colony(ies) you don't need anything more...it's just marketing hype to get you to keep buying 'stuff'.
Ah! Alright, thank you so much!!

And yes, the angel took a turn for the worst when he started nose-diving into the gravel. He's been dead for a few hours now, waiting in a separate bowl of water until I can give him a good send off.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back