SW start

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jpmcca01

Reaction score
I want to startup a SW system, but I have only done FW. I have done alot of research on the subject and I mainly just want to grow corals. Maybe have a couple fish later on down the road. My main concern is what equipment is essential for doing this. I hear alot of debate on skimmers. Some coral growers say not to use them because they strip alot of things out of the water that corals like to have.
So could someone tell me what you must have to startup a successfully SW tank?
Also need info on:
*Can I use my tap water instead of RO water?
*Can I use my biowheel with a SW setup?

Things I know i need:
*Sump and pump
*2-4 powerheads depending on tank size
*Siphon and pump
*Good lighting, about 5w per gal
*1 Lb liverock per gal
*4" crushed coral sand (preferable, or so I hear)
*Plenty of Janitors once its established.

I would appreciate any info on this. :blink:

First or all, a protein skimmer is essential!!! and not just any skimmer, make sure that you get a good one preferably by deltec or if not aquamedic (deltec do much better smaller skimmer if thats what your after.) I would get the tank drilled through the base. for anything under 3' you will get away with 1x 1 1/5" hole fit a tank connector and have a pipe going to the surface so that the water is skimmed from the surface. for the sump, you will need a pre filter first such a sfilter floss, then your skimmer, then a biological be of coral gravel and then any chemical filtration and last, your return pump (s). i would definatly get halide lighting if u can if not, then T5's are good. you should aim to fill a third of the tank with live rock if you are using it for filtration if you are not using it for filtration then you can have as little as you want. as for janitors have pleanty of mini hermits such as hawians, blue legged or redlegger hermits. a brittle or serpent star cleaner or blood shrimps and some snails preferably trochus sp (better than turbo snails)

If you start with a 75gal, it is not as tall and you will get more bang for your lighting buck. Three power heads will do well on a wave timer. I have an additional pump with a spray bar in the back bottom of my tank to ensure good flow. I would use VHO lighting, but lighting is a much discussed reef matter.

As far as skimmers are concerned, they are needed, but people are starting to chant mangrove mangrove mangrove.......

I think that mangroves, mirical mud, DSB's and live rock (NOT PLENUMS) are the best type of filtration if combined. the reason that i don't like plenums is that they can solidify in a marine tank. they are difficult to maintain and they can produce nitrite/nitrate.

Agreed. I have heard of many plenums going bad in SW.

I am thinking of a mangrove tank/refugium now that I will be upgrading to a 6' tank and will have the room underneath.

Stories have been told of reefers setting up a mangrove tank, then noticing a few months later that their skimmer isn't pulling out pollutants anymore.

YEAH!! One less pump to run... :)

Ok so a skimmer isnt needed with "mangrove". Not sure what it is, but I am going to do some research and findout. And it sounds like if I am going with a reef tank with little to no fish( no fish for the first 6months at least), then I should be able to get away with it.( Live rock will provide good filtration ). If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to give them, I need alot more information before starting.

Where do you live?

I have a friend with a 75G setup that has absolutely no artificial filtration. I can't remember what it's called. Not a refugium. It's a box that hangs on the back and contains bacteria, worms grow in there, etc. Has a massive wavemaker that pumps a strong current across the entire tank ... never seen anything like it.

I could get details if you like. Her halides hang from the ceiling, so it is an open top tank. There is noise every time the wave kicks in (splash and roll, like on the beach). But no pumps, motors, etc.

To my taste there's too much algae. But she uses just DI. Don't use tap. DON'T USE TAP!! If you are in the states (or even if not if he'll ship), buy on ebay NOW an ro/di unit from waterworksenterprises. Search on "reefkeeper" and you'll pull up his systems. You'll save hundreds right now. Works great. I get 0 TDS readings.

5W seems low. My 75G has 2x250W metal halides. So that's 500W or about 7W per G.

Just a note: be sure to get a protein skimmer.

It doesn't matter whether you get coral sand or gravel, as long as you're sure that its not the cheap stuff that they sell for fishbowls. That stuff is totally unusable in a SW fishtank. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back