Sw Setup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
B

BettaBettas

Ive done mass amounts of research on salt water tanks, been wanting one for years but there to expensive.
So Now in the present they aren't to expensive, for me. And I have that spare 75G which I thought I was going to keep discus in...
So now im thinking of making that 75G into a saltwater tank rather than a discus pair tank. Now like I said ive done mass amounts of research on how to start and maintain a saltwater tank, but advice and extra help doesn't hurt.
So here's what I know so far (or the less detailed parts)

65G+ aquarium size for beginners (but not over 100G)

Marine Salt needed

Mechanical filter (optional), I was thinking of using a canister filter for this? is that ok?

Sump (10-20 gallon tank ok?)

Crushed coral sub. (optional) so if I have an only invert. (and some clown fish) aquarium will a small amount be ok? like 1 1/2 - 2 inches?

Live rock

What else? anyone know, im sure I read on more stuff I need but I cant remember them....

Protein skimmer (do I need this?)

I've always wanted a sw tank but I've just never gotten around to it nor do I have an old large tank lying around. Or a stand. If I set up a nice big tank like that it would have to have a nice stand.

I would not make the jump from betta fish to a full out saltwater tank though. I would turn it into a dirted tank. I have had lots of experience with dirted tanks and they are fairly easy to setup and look gorgeous when done right.

Hi Bettas, I have no experience with SW tanks - the cost and experience involved are out of my comfort zone :) but one thing missing from your list was an API saltwater test kit. I only  thought of this because I was doing a few tests on my cycling axie tank while looking at your post :)

Hi.it's not too bad.look at my 90 litre saltwater journal.
Good flow-powerheads.
Good test kit.-Api is pretty useless to be honest.I bought one then needed all the others.like magnesium phosphate nitrate etc etc.
Good plan.-decide first what you would like in your tank.I decided like yourself I would only have a fowlr(fish only with live rock).I now have a full blown reef with a chronic coral addiction.lol.
Good lighting.-this is something which I would say is very important if you go down the coral route.
There are so many fish to choose from.with a tank your size you have alot of scope.deciding first would be a great advantage.
Personally I would not use a sump.
Good salt.-don't go for the cheap option.
I found setting up my first saltwater tank fairly easy.

instant ocean I have seen in use before, it is very well  respected you could say =) so ill prob be using that by the box lol, im still thinking of the tank being a discus or SW not sure yet but I already planned out the tank if it will be for discus, so im planning it out for SW right now. also thanks for the suggestion of SW test

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back