Surprise Dinner Guests - What Have I Got Here?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ITViking

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Using the resources on the site I think I've identified these, but want some other opinions. My old eyes can barely see these things.

I have a small shrimp tank (no fish) that I recently added some wood, leaves & cones to; which I think the shrimp must have appreciated as they seem to be breeding now. However, it seems I ended up with some hitchhikers. To promote shrimp breeding I've also feeding more, so could be they are thriving on the excess food I'm guessing.

I think these might be 'white worms' of some type (Detritus?) and possibly some 'Copepods'? Can anyone positively identify from this picture? All of the tiny specks are moving around as well. Some seem to be on the glass, while others 'swimming' (?)/floating close to the glass. Any blue-purple-ish color is my cell phone camera picking up the blue LEDs from the tank lights.

If mostly harmless, I might consider leaving them alone, especially if they are essentially cleaning excess waste.

worms.jpg

Last edited:
Those look like detritus which are harmless. If they have a pointed arrow shape head (which I don’t see) then treat them with Fenbendazole. Some planarian will kill shrimp and most have a toxic slime trail that will also kill shrimp. Let’s see if others think they are detritus. Watch your shrimp for deaths. :)

Thanks for the feedback! Here's a better picture. Now that the tank light is on they've moved down to the substrate.

more worms.jpg

I've just got some amano shrimp for my tank (to deal with biofilm) - they're absolutely delightful!

I think I like them better than the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back