Surely This Isn't Right... (Ph)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Madjonny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So last weekend in preparation for my new aquarium (which arrived today) I brought some wood, bog or drift not sure can't remember and have been soaking it in a plastic box for 6days...

Now I'm about to start setting up my aquarium I tested the water in the container and it was close to PH 5!
That's no good for any fish!

I know wood reduces PH but surely not to that extent?

Is it because its just been sat in a box of still water for 6 days?

Please I need some advice...

I must admit I'm quite surprised that it's gone quite that low, but that's almost certainly what has cuased it.

Try taking a glass of tapwater, leave it for 24 hours (to allow any CO2 to gass off) then test that for pH.

id test it again, some fish can be in pH like that like some rams

Is the wood leaching a lot of tannin, OP?

With a great release of tannins (as discussed above) and a poor buffering ability (low kH) of your water, that's probably an accurate measurement, especially if its a lot of wood in a very small container.

I'd take the steps described above.

Test tap water after sitting out for pH (I'd suggest also testing kH).
Retest the water just in case it was an error.

A lot of South American appreciate pH that is well below "neutral".  In a larger container and standard maintenance, the pH won't drop quite that low, but even at that pH - if properly acclimated - the fish can be quite happy and healthy.  In fact, that pH is REQUIRED for certain species to spawn.

fluttermoth said:
Is the wood leaching a lot of tannin, OP?
I have just researched tannins but I still don't know hat I'm looking for...

Something has been coming out of it there's brown bits everywhere, sorry I'm not much help.
It is a large piece of wood for the size container...

Tannins will be making the water browny/yellow, like tea.

It's really 'tannic acid', and will, obviously, be reducing the pH. Once the worst of the tannins have leached out, it shouldn't affect the pH in the tank so much.

So a solution could be to keep it soaking in water but changing the water everyday?

The water is slightly brown, but it's hard to tell its in a bright red box...

That would work to get more tannins out of the wood.  Personally, I like tannins in my tank - they aren't for everyone though. :/

Once you put the wood in the tank - if you are concerned about the tannins - put carbon in your filter.  The carbon will remove the tannins from the water.  (This is one of the actual uses of carbon, rather than using it all the time.)  When you start to notice either a drop in pH in your tank, or a slight discoloration (yellowing) replace the carbon with new and it will again remove the tannins from the water.

Not sure if this is what the OP meant, but it sounds like he was soaking the piece of wood in the same water for 6 days, and than tested that water....if so than that's obviously the reason, the first time I let my driftwood soak in hot water tons of tannins are released, and if you're testing the same water I wouldn't be surprised if it was that low. I doubt your tap is that low..
Oh, and you're supposed to change the water you're soaking the wood in either every 12 hours or every day, if you didn't know..

Noahsfish said:
Not sure if this is what the OP meant, but it sounds like he was soaking the piece of wood in the same water for 6 days, and than tested that water....if so than that's obviously the reason, the first time I let my driftwood soak in hot water tons of tannins are released, and if you're testing the same water I wouldn't be surprised if it was that low. I doubt your tap is that low..Oh, and you're supposed to change the water you're soaking the wood in either every 12 hours or every day, if you didn't know..
That's exactly what meant... Another noob mistake on my part...

How much does wood usually lower ph?

What I'm going to do is soak it another 2 days in fresh water, I'll change several times, then start scaping my tank, I will also use a carbon filter and keep on monitoring the ph...

Right it's been 24 hours since I changed the water the wood was in.

The ph of that now is 6.3,

24 hour old tap water is around 7.2

What should I do now as I have everything I need to start setting up my aquarium now, can I just put the wood in or should I continue to soak and change the water for a while longer?

It depends on if you want the tanins in your tank. If you don't, continue soaking the wood and changing the water. If you do, your free to put it in your tank. 
Does you tank have any fish in it? If it has sensitive fish that like a more neutral pH then don't put the wood in.

It's an empty brand new tank right now, but is it better to keep soaking in the container or put in the tank and allow the carbon to remove the tannins?

There won't be any fish in the tank until the tank conditions are perfect, I'm going to make sure to learn from my previous mistakes...

If you don't want the tannins in your tank, continue soaking it, changing the water every 12-24 hours.
If you don't mind the tannins, put it in. Really, if you put it in the tank then you should also be performing some water changes to help the carbon out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back