Supermarket Selling Instant Fish......

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
My wife bought this for me at a supermarket chain store today..... They call it "Magic" fish..... There is no "Hatch By" date displayed on the box and the little bowl supplied is about 1 liter..... They are selling like hotcakes as Christmas presents for kids...... They have no clue what they're buying......

100_2841.jpg

Wow whatever next! I looked on amazon and found a similar product and one of the reviews suggested that the instructions tell you to fill a cup of tap water and leave for 24 hours before adding the eggs which when they hatch to fish will only eat the shrimp provided which you have to raise too! It advertises that you can get up to 20 fish per box.

This reminds me of the Sea monkeys which i always wanted as a child. It makes me wonder how many people will buy instant fish for their kids hoping that the kids will become bored of them after a few days, especially parents being pestered for tropical fish for their children.

Would be interesting to hear more reviews and maybe pics of the fully grown fish

I'm sure the success rate for survival on these fish is about nil for the average person. I'm sure this product will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

What do you think the survival rate is for someone who is experienced with fishkeeping?

They are Killifish eggs. People raise them from eggs like this all the time. I wouldn't buy this expensive kit though. Find some killifish fanciers near you (a club or group) and get some eggs from them. I'm sure you would have no problem raising them. It's keeping them in that bowl that would do them in. I checked out reviews online and it looked pretty grim. Not sure how old the eggs are in some of those kits. That would definitely affect hatch rates.

I wasnt really going to buy one lol. When i set up my killifish tank, i will find either killifish in the LFS or find a breeder than can sell me some eggs.

I wasnt really going to buy one lol. When i set up my killifish tank, i will find either killifish in the LFS or find a breeder than can sell me some eggs.

Ah, of course. I missed the LOL on your first comment.

My wife bought this for me at a supermarket chain store today..... They call it "Magic" fish..... There is no "Hatch By" date displayed on the box and the little bowl supplied is about 1 liter..... They are selling like hotcakes as Christmas presents for kids...... They have no clue what they're buying......

LOL Ludwig! She bought it as a joke, right?

Don't know about stateside, DM, but there's plenty on Ebay in the UK. I just wish I could find some room for another tank.

I haven't really looked into it yet. I still need a heater and filter for my 65g. I also need to research water conditions and habitat, then fishless cycle.......It wont be till feb-mar when I actually have fish in the tank.

Mainly because I now have it..... I have set it up according to their instructions included..... Let's see what happens.....

I'm just worried that the container with the peat in is labled...... "Egg"...... Hopefully there is more than one in there....

I'm just worried that the container with the peat in is labled...... "Egg"...... Hopefully there is more than one in there....

At least, they could not have been more truthful than that...... I see one fry swimming around in the peat hatching bowl..... Hopefully there will be more, but he had his first feeding of freshly hatched brine shrimp..... Let's see if I can rear him/her to adulthood.....

Most reactions

trending

Back