Super Small Fry ? How Small Can Guppy Fry Get? [updated!]

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SimonSays

Reaction score
I recently switch all my fish over to a 55gallon tank from my 20gallon( overstocked :crazy: ), I drained the 20gal and left it sitting around for about 1 week with 1.5-2 inches of water, while I was planning out a diy stand. I recently finished the stand but as I was adding water back into the tank I noticed super super small fry! (as well as many other strange critters). They're very small, smaller than any fry i've ever seen, they're the size of the space in between these parenthesis
( )

They also definitely look like fish, the same form with a tail and such with small dots for eyes and a small dot for a stomach!

are these actually guppy fry?
I have Tetras
Rainbows
and guppies

I tried to take pictures but they're very very bad T_T

Attachments

• 0508071743a.jpg
    0508071743a.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 351
i dont think they are fry especially if the female wasnt in the tank

probably some bugs, or larvae

i wouldnt put any fish in there for now untill you know exactly what it is

hmm actually you're right, my guppies weren't even in this tank, they were in my 10gallon I had...the only fish that were in the tank before I transfered to the 55gal were the rainbows, longskirt tetra, flame tetra, and ottos....so they really can't be guppy fry...hmmmmm but they really really do look like little fish =/ I wish I could get a better picture!

its mostly likely some type of larvae could be fly, mosquito, or any other bug larvae
give that tank a good cleaning with 1:10 ratio of bleach to water and start the cycle all over again discarding the filter media (if u had any in there)

whatever you do DONT use soap to clean the tank

hmmm lemme post some better pictures for you, I googled different types of larvae and none look like that i'm seeing =/
pics to follow

some pics...they looked better on the small camera LCD =(

Attachments

• IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 245
I'm starting to think (or hoping rather) that they're otto fry

I'm starting to think (or hoping rather) that they're otto fry
When they move, does their tail look like its making a loas of prenounced S's as if it doesnt have a back bone? If so, it is mosquito or some other type of larve. Else, it is probably a fish :D Not guppy as explained earlier.

I highly doubt they are otto fry, oto eggs are very obvious and the fry stick themselves to surfaces in the tank. Its much more likely they are the fry of a tetra of some sort, most tetras are egg scatterers and lay their eggs in the substrate of the tank when dry or wet season conditions are mimicked (which you could have done unintentionally) in the tank. You should go out and get some food for egg laying fish fry like Liquifry otherwise the fry will start to die off.

use the MACRO feature on your camera to get a clearer picture close up
its the icon that looks like a flower, its for taking very closeup pictures and will give you good clearity

it could be tetra as Tokis said, but most likely not oto fry
add some liquifry and see what they turn out to be after a couple of weeks

Hi,

My Female guppy just gave birth and I have found what I know are guppy fry (now in breeding net) but I also have the tiny fish looking (supposed fry) that look identical to Simonsays pictures.

A few weeks ago I noticed that one of my neon tetras was looking very plump...so maybe it could be her babies.

I've put 3 of the unknown fry in the breeding net (although there are alot more in the main tank, but they're so small I cant get them, so have left them in with the plants and noticed a few in the gravel.

Looks like we've got a surprise when they grow.....now all we've got to do is wait lol

Let me know if there are any changes in yours and I will try and get some pics

Vickie :good:

Hi,

My Female guppy just gave birth and I have found what I know are guppy fry (now in breeding net) but I also have the tiny fish looking (supposed fry) that look identical to Simonsays pictures.

A few weeks ago I noticed that one of my neon tetras was looking very plump...so maybe it could be her babies.

I've put 3 of the unknown fry in the breeding net (although there are alot more in the main tank, but they're so small I cant get them, so have left them in with the plants and noticed a few in the gravel.

Looks like we've got a surprise when they grow.....now all we've got to do is wait lol

Let me know if there are any changes in yours and I will try and get some pics

Vickie :good:

They are far more likely to be glowlight tetra fry, glowlight tetras are easy egg laying fish to breed, on the other hand neon tetras are moderately difficult fish to breed and are unlikely to breed in the average community tank set up.

Well, I've been in and out of my apartment since i'm working about 2 hours away, after the first 2 weeks away, most of the fry ended up dying since I had no way to feed them =(

but 3 survived!

These are some pics of the 3...I actually still have no idea what they are, we're thinking glass tetras? or maybe rainbows? I'm not sure, they're still see through like the glass tetras but they seem to have an elongated body like my rainbows...any ideas?

Attachments

• 0715071238.jpg
    0715071238.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 0715071242.jpg
    0715071242.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 0715071242a.jpg
    0715071242a.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 238

Most reactions

trending