sunsun/all ponds solutions cannister filters.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

terrypin

Reaction score
When I clean my canister filter and reassemble it there is a leak. I strip it and reseal it several times before it finally decides to not leak. It can take up to 30 minutes before the pressure is sufficient before it starts leaking. This is driving me mad it means I can be hours cleaning it. I like to keep a clean tank I do have a small pre-filter which I clean weekly so I don't have to clean the main filter as often but this is really becoming a chore . Do you suggest I go for another model which can stand regular maintenance if so which make and model.

I think a lot of external filters take a bit of faffing about before it’s running as they should and normally leak free.

However I generally use two brands of externals that have been pretty good to me.

Fluval and Eheim external filters.

Fluval are robustly made and the quality is fairly good, not top notch but good enough, the filter media capacity is good and lots of options for each level of tray to fill up with your choice of media.

Eheim, a bit more expensive but build quality is fairly good but imo their best feature is the flow capacity with full media inside is pretty good.

There are pros and cons with both brands but I have stuck with both of those for various sized tanks and found them to be dependable and once you know how to fully fit everything as should be they are pretty good and fairly easy to maintain and to put back together leak free and running well.

Thank you for your reply and your advice. I appreciate when advice given is from experience I will be looking into the prices and availability of both these makes because my lack of confidence in what I have is spoiling my enjoyment. Thanks again.

Put some Vaseline on O-rings before assembling the filter. It usually helps.

Thanks for the reply Colin did you mean the two small o rings where the pipes connect to the head if so I have only just ordered a set off E bay along with another main seal. I hope this works so I can sell my 150l corner tank with this filter. I have just upgraded to a 350l corner tank and I would like to sell the other one on but would never sell anything I was not confident will stay water tight. As soon as I get a chance I will run the filter to test it and post on here if it was a good fix incase any other people have had a similar problem with this filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back