Sump Without Drilling?

shutdown

Reaction score
I have an estabilished tank and was thinking of moving over to a sump to make some room.

obviously I can't drill my tank as the fish my get a little upset with me.

Has anyone got any idea how to run a system with just pipes and pumps?

There is a way with a siphon overflow box, but there is one huge problem with that...they sometimes don't restart siphon after power outages, so the sump pump can end up pumping a ton of water onto the floor. IMO don't do it. Either stick with what you already have, or set up a new tank that is already drilled. :/

I have heard of tanks being drilled 'in-situ' but it is extremely risky as a break in the tank means big problems :crazy:

You can lower the water level, dry off the area where the hole will go, silicone an overflow box in place then drill from the outside of the tank, insert your bulkhead and connect up.

Rather you than me though :blink:

An external overflow is much better than not having a sump. Research the external overflows and get a "U" tube type. You need to get as close to 600 gph of flow through it as you can and you won't have to worry about losing siphon. If you plan on drilling the tank as it is, move as much of the water and livestock as possible into what you will be using as a sump, and have some rubbermaid containers just in case. But in any case having the advantages of a sump outweights many times over the disadvantages or risks associated with a HOB overflow.

i think i'll pass the idea then :D :D

I just got a Via Aqua skimmer and it's too noisey for where my tank is so was looking to sump the system instead. I'll put the skimmer on ebay and find myself a nice quiet one that will keep my woman happy

How about drilling the sump and having in ontop of the tank with a pump in the main tank to get the water into the sump?

i see what you mean but there's not much room where the tank is

especially now my skimmer takes up even more room

If you think a skimmer is loud, a sump is even louder. If you're looking for quiet, I think a different skimmer is the better option if quiet is your goal.

If you have a loud sump crazylece there are ways to quiet it, post some pics of your sump or send them to me via PM if you can.

There is a way with a siphon overflow box, but there is one huge problem with that...they sometimes don't restart siphon after power outages, so the sump pump can end up pumping a ton of water onto the floor. IMO don't do it. Either stick with what you already have, or set up a new tank that is already drilled. :/

yup thats wat happened to me, total disaster.

I have a 5ft running without a sump and really wish i had listened to all the advise when it was empty, and gone ahead with drilling.
I have thought about an overflow but have been warned against them....still in the back of my mind though.

I still say the benefits of having a sump outweight the risks associated with a HOB overflow. There are more aquarists with HOB overflows than drilled tanks and most of them never fail.

I still say the benefits of having a sump outweight the risks associated with a HOB overflow. There are more aquarists with HOB overflows than drilled tanks and most of them never fail.

I guess I wouldn't agree with that, are you sure there are more aquarists using siphon overflows than drilled tanks? Saying that most never fail doesn't ease my mind. That's like removing your air bag because "most" people don't have car accidents. Precautions are made to constantly reduce the possibility of tragedy, this is an easy thing to do to lower the possibility of tragedy.

Well when airbags first came out did everyone run out and buy a new car with them in it - nope only the luxoury models had them. Proved to be a good invetment so the manufacturers started adding them to all their models so that now most cars have them. Many cars on the road though still do not have them as they are older. Also some people do effectively remove them, with a switch to turn them off, for rear facing child seats. I actually like this as an analogy because it fits well. You are safer with an air bag but are you so safe that if you have one you will never die in an accident - nope. If you do not have airbags will you die in an accident - nope.

Many saltwater beginners start with FW and usually convert one of their FW tanks. Also many are more scared of drilling a tank than using a HOB overflow. I agree that drilling is the better option with a new or yet to be setup tank, but for an existing tank the HOB overflow is better than not having a sump.

Most reactions

trending

Back