Sulawesi Yellow Rabbit Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
1 of my lfs has these snails for sale and they look great, big and quite funky.... has anyone got any of these? do they need special treatment? do they eat plants?

I have only just heard about these but they look fantastic, pretty rare and from some general care sheets super friendly and do eat algae, oh and there are many varieties. Cant wait to hear your decision ;)

i almost got some on wednesday but held back as i didnt know anything about them.... i may go back on sunday and get a few, my lfs is getting some really out of the ordinary things in recently and reasonably priced too for a change!!! i got some cardinal shrimp for £4.50 each last week :good:

How much are they charging ?
I managed to get 3 from a garden centre , wouldn't charge me 'cos they bred in there apparantly?
They described them as rabbit snails , any info greatly appreciated...... :good:

How much are they charging ?
I managed to get 3 from a garden centre , wouldn't charge me 'cos they bred in there apparantly?
They described them as rabbit snails , any info greatly appreciated...... :good:
if i remember right they were either £2 or £3 each but about an inch and a half or maybr bigger shells. they have a long shell like mts thats kind of black and grey i think and the actual snail inside are bright yellow with long feelers. i dont know anything else about them, i was put off because of this and the fact that there were a lot of them burried in the sand and i didnt know if this was a bad sign or not..... :unsure:

Hmmm.... buried under the sand ? The rabbit snails I scrounged are chocolate brown with yellowish stripes , they don't burrow but seem to have taken up residence in an Escargot shell, were they like this ?
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad294/kiriyama_01/Photo0130.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad294/kiriyama_01/Photo0131.jpg
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad294/kiriyama_01/Photo0132.jpg
Sorry the pics arn't great , just using phone, snails not climbing, but just as you would imagine , one climbing the glass as I'm writing this... :grr:

I have a few different varieties of Sulawesi snails. I have one of the black coned yellow snails that you are talking about mattlee, and I also have a couple of the yellow/brown coned snails that Kiriyama has.

My black shelled yellow snail that I have is quite mellow and less active compared to the yellow/brown coned snails. The black coned snail will eat algae off the side of the glass, and I did catch it eating part of my java fern plant that I had, but I think that was more due to the minimal feedings I was doing to get rid of a parasite/worm thing I had going on. Since I have been feeding the shrimp/snails regularly again with algae tablets I haven't seen him eat any plants. However, my brown shelled sulawesi snails are always munching on any greenry they can, and they eat my bogwood, too! Occasionally all of the Sulawesi snails will go into a 'hibernation' type mode where they retreat into their shell for a few days. I haven't quite figured out why all of my Sulawesi snails do this. I also think that the black coned variety snails like a bit more current as they like to climb up the side of the tank and hang out around the filter output, maybe because that area has more oxygen or they just like the current, I don't know.

All in all, they are really easy to take care of, pretty hardy, and in my experience most of them are pregnant when they are brought in from the wild. Out of the six or seven I have had, two have died, for unknown reasons, and three have given birth a few days after I brought them home from the store. They give birth to only one snail at a time, and they do give birth and do not lay eggs. I have researched online Sulawesi snail breeding habits and have found only one occurrence of snails breeding in captivity, mine haven't reproduced at all.

I tend to ramble on, so I apologize if this was too boring and too much info. I do like my Sulawesi snails, they are quite interesting creatures, and I find them cute.

Funnily enough we have just been to Maidenhead Aquatics and they have loads of these! Most were very dark shelled with lighter bodies and there were some really good sized ones!

Just back from garden centre , picking up another small portion of ocean rock, asked the girl and she told me they had tons of snails, MTS unfortunatley , I was welcome to as many as I wanted , luckily though there was 1 "rabbit snail" in a tank so home it came with me FOC, I thought the other ones had died as I hadnt seen them for a few days, I was shifting some rocks in the tank and I discovered them all in one corner and one even hiding indide an Escargot shell, they were very active for a while but must be doing that slept hibernation thing.... :good:
Funny thing though , the first ones I got have black or dark grey bodies, todays has yellowish body with fine black lines......

Yah, the body themselves of the rabbit snails come in a ridiculous amount of patterns. All of the ones I have seen have been yellow and black in color, but the patterns always vary, the ones I've seen can be spotted, striped, solid and even solid with different color tentacles. Also, on one of my snails, the pattern on it's head area, is not the same pattern on it's body: he's got a yellow based body with black stripes on his face, but when he REALLY stretches out of his shell (like when he falls off the side of the tank onto his back and has to right himself,) his body looks black based with yellow SPOTS! I'm hoping to be getting a new camera for xmas, once I do, I'll try and take a pic of him and his body color/patterns, amazing.

just to bring an old post back from the dead does anyone keep these and do they eat live plant? my friend is selling loads at £2.50 can they be kept with apple snails?

just to bring an old post back from the dead does anyone keep these and do they eat live plant? my friend is selling loads at £2.50 can they be kept with apple snails?

Mine eat live plants and live with apple snails :).

The more treats they get the less they eat the plants; but mine have a constant supply of food and they still eat the plants (when there are treats; give them a few minutes and it's covered).

Hi,

after falling in love with rabbit snails ourselves, we have just started selling them via eBay. Just three varieties at the moment, but have on order from the exporter 11 varieties for arrival mid April.

Part of their appeal has to be not just how beautiful they are but also their characters - yes snails! They thrive best in a pH of around 7.5 with a low to medium hardness. Females with give birth to one or two perfect miniatures of the parents every month. We keep them happily with apple snails.

Some of our current stock:

http://ebay.aquabyte.co.uk/photos/Poso_Orange_Rabbit_Snails/rs2.jpg

http://ebay.aquabyte.co.uk/photos/Yellow_Spotted_Rabbit_Snails/ysrs1.jpg

Enjoy

Rob Oliver
AquaByte

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back