Suitable home for rescued rainbow shark a last?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I should have just made it either caps or in bold... It was just to emphasize the word
Why does it need emphasized? Lol not trying to interrogate, just confused

Well... I just figure I would emphasize the fact that the person was a guy...

It's fine. You can ask away. But I really don't like explaining my jokes 😅
They dont feel funny anymore then 🤣🤣🤣
I'm not saying that to stop you from asking questions, just something I was bringing up cause it fit the conversation

He was suggesting the male aquarist had romantic feelings for @AdoraBelle Dearheart and therefore bought her wine as a thank you.

Clearly not the case, but that’s what the joke that Rocky made indicates.

Thank you! I was gonna give it another week or so to try to find a new home before giving up and taking him to the store. Glad this guy saw my ad when he did, I feel a lot happier sending him to a home I've seen, rather than abandoning him at the store, no matter how nice the store. Happy endings are nice :)

Plus, I met a friendly local hobbyist, which is always good. Handy to build a network of local fishkeepers.
Sad you didn’t get to keep him, but I’m also happy he found a hood home. The aquarium community is amazing. :fish:

He was suggesting the male aquarist had romantic feelings for @AdoraBelle Dearheart and therefore bought her wine as a thank you.

Clearly not the case, but that’s what the joke that Rocky made indicates.
I got the joke ;) the placement of the emphasis didn’t make sense though for that particular joke :)

LOL, why the scare quotes around he and thank you? Nothing like that, young man! Much older gentleman and married, we just talked about fish :p

Oh wait... You thought I was talking about... NO! That's not what I meant.
Oh God 🤦‍♂️

Proper explanation:
"He" gave you the wine as a "thank you"
I meant that it wasn't really a "thank you", but instead he was being flirtatious and trying to be nice but in a more romantic kind of way...

LOL no worries, that is exactly what I though you meant! And what I meant when I said it wasn't like that :p

Nah, he was a nice chap, mentioned his wife early on, and I'm guessing in his 60s, so he wasn't flirty or hinting to me at all. ;) Before he came to collect the shark we just talked about his tank set up and whether we thought it would work out, and I was thankful someone who lived nearby and had a good set up wanted him! Yesterday when confirming time and address, he said he wanted to give me something in exchange, and said he had plenty of female kribs if I'd like some of those, or some baby fish boxes he didn't use anymore, or some wine that he gets duty free in large quantities twice a year :lol: I said that he didn't have to do that, taking the shark off my hands was enough! But that I was good for fish boxes, couldn't really house kribensis with my fish either, but that I do like a nice glass of wine now and again, so he bought that, lol. It's in a nice bottle that can be re-corked as well, which is great, since I like a glass now and then, but generally only have one glass then won't want any more for a while, so it's a waste of a bottle. I have a decanter now, haha!

Sharky was also super easy to catch! Easiest fish I've ever caught, just swam right into the net. Twice. I thought he'd be a struggle, but not at all. I just cornered him and he swam into the net, then I remembered I'd offered the guy some live plant trimmings too, so I let Sharky go again so I could gather and bag those first and minimise his time in the tupperware. Then did the same again when it was time to bag him, and he swam gently right into the net a second time too. What a good boy he's been!

Should be fine, IMO...the RS is pretty much fully grown...I don't think it will bother the kribs and angels, and as already mentioned, if the pleco is a good size, it should be fine as well

This article is really interesting, and worth a read! I'm glad you linked it, @Slaphppy7 thank you! I didn't realise that they could have a lifespan of 15 years, for example!
Sad to see that they're another fish that is being eradicated in the wild due to their rivers being dammed and likely due to pollution too. That most/all come from being farmed and artificially spawned.

Glad it confirmed my thoughts about the set-up it would need, my instinct from the size and shape of the fish was that it would really suit a rocky, river type set up and at least 50-60g. They really are a big fish, and shaped to swim fast, which makes sense if they travel to spawning grounds.

What surprised me is that SF said:

"there exist reports of apparent alliances with other species such as Chromobotia macracanthus. We’re unsure if these behavioural differences are indicative of gender but at any rate loaches from the genera Chromobotia, Botia, Syncrossus and Yasuhikotakia do seem to be left in peace"
With all the warnings about them going after torpedo shaped fish, I would have thought botiid loaches would have been a no no. Odd that it's usually fine with botia! It seems to recognise that they're not the same family/not in competition I guess. SF does warn against keeping it with:

"congenerics and members of Crossocheilus, Garra and Gyrinocheilus, for example, tend to be attacked constantly."
Since that covers a lot of fish, definitely easier to sum it up as not being good with torpedo shaped fish and other bottom dwellers. I'd honestly be nervous about even trying one with a group of botiid loaches, if I were to ever create a set-up with both in mind. But, that won't be happening! I've been a shark owner for three weeks, and that's enough for me. :) I'd love a huge tank with a big group of botiid loaches one day though. But not clowns. I think clowns are over-rated, honestly. So many other gorgeous botia species that aren't as valued.

This article is really interesting, and worth a read! I'm glad you linked it, @Slaphppy7 thank you! I didn't realise that they could have a lifespan of 15 years, for example!
Sad to see that they're another fish that is being eradicated in the wild due to their rivers being dammed and likely due to pollution too. That most/all come from being farmed and artificially spawned.

Glad it confirmed my thoughts about the set-up it would need, my instinct from the size and shape of the fish was that it would really suit a rocky, river type set up and at least 50-60g. They really are a big fish, and shaped to swim fast, which makes sense if they travel to spawning grounds.

What surprised me is that SF said:

"there exist reports of apparent alliances with other species such as Chromobotia macracanthus. We’re unsure if these behavioural differences are indicative of gender but at any rate loaches from the genera Chromobotia, Botia, Syncrossus and Yasuhikotakia do seem to be left in peace"
With all the warnings about them going after torpedo shaped fish, I would have thought botiid loaches would have been a no no. Odd that it's usually fine with botia! It seems to recognise that they're not the same family/not in competition I guess. SF does warn against keeping it with:

"congenerics and members of Crossocheilus, Garra and Gyrinocheilus, for example, tend to be attacked constantly."
Since that covers a lot of fish, definitely easier to sum it up as not being good with torpedo shaped fish and other bottom dwellers. I'd honestly be nervous about even trying one with a group of botiid loaches, if I were to ever create a set-up with both in mind. But, that won't be happening! I've been a shark owner for three weeks, and that's enough for me. :) I'd love a huge tank with a big group of botiid loaches one day though. But not clowns. I think clowns are over-rated, honestly. So many other gorgeous botia species that aren't as valued.
Clowns overrated! You’ll not be getting any bottles of wine from me young lady.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back