Suitable home for rescued rainbow shark a last?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Haven't had much interest from anyone wanting to adopt a full grown rainbow shark, unsurprisingly! The first potential home with a 6ft tank changed their mind, but not so bad when he also told me what other fish he's bought recently and ones that have died...
But someone else local wants him and will collect him Wednesday! Tank and stocking sounds good to me, but these are fish I've never kept, and wanted to double check with people who know a lot more than I do! So his potential new home is;

240 L tank (63g)
Stocking;
Six angel fish
Several Kribensis
One pleco
I won't share a photo of the tank unless the owner gives me permission, but I've seen it, lots of hiding spots and ground cover, mix of fake and real plants. Well established but also obviously clean and well cared for! Would this mix of fish be okay with a rainbow shark added? I'd be so happy to have finally found a good home for him!

I'm no expert, but aren't rainbow sharks pretty aggressive? Or are those red tail sharks? Or are both that way? 😅

I'm no expert, but aren't rainbow sharks pretty aggressive? Or are those red tail sharks? Or are both that way? 😅
Rainbow sharks are less aggressive than red-tailed. But they can still live with some other fish, if the other fish aren't torpedo shaped like other sharks or botiid loaches - they tend to go for those since similar, and same territory. But less bottom dwellers plus larger cichlid/barbs are usually okay. If the other fish are big enough/tough enough not to be bullied, and are also not likely to attack the rainbow, then it can be fine. This sounds pretty ideal to me, but as I said, I've never owned any of these fish, and want to hear from more experienced hobbyists to be on the safe side.

I can say that he has quarantined with three cories and an oto since August 28th, and he has left them alone. He chased the blue gourami as soon as I added it, but he has left the others alone and spent nearly all of his time in his slate cave.

My advice hasn't changed and won't because it is all we have. The species (Rainbow) is less troublesome than the Red Tail Black, but individual fish can have different temperaments. May work out very well all round.

My advice hasn't changed and won't because it is all we have. The species (Rainbow) is less troublesome than the Red Tail Black, but individual fish can have different temperaments. May work out very well all round.

Thank you! I know that it can vary depending on personality of all fish involved - especially when you have fish with stronger personalities, like cichlids and a rainbow shark! But in general, this sounds like a potential good set up, right? Nothing that stands out as "nope, not a good idea to have with a rainbow"

I dunno, I was really happy to have finally found someone who seems great, with a tank that sounds as though it might work, and hoped for some reassurance that these fish should probably be okay with a rainbow, without a guarantee of course, since we never know for sure. Maybe hoped for some enthusiasm from someone that it sounds good. :(

Have had these rescue fish for almost a month now. Gourami is looking a lot better - coloured up a lot, not bothering other fish (so far, I'm still keeping a keen eye and prepared to move her if necessary), the cories look great and I can't wait to put them with my big crew, and I moved the single oto to my tank with seven other otos and pygmy cories today, so he has the company of other otos for what sounds like the first time in years. Finally found someone who wants and can house a rainbow shark, so I'd hoped people might be happy for me at least, even if it's not a fish they love.

I dunno, I was really happy to have finally found someone who seems great, with a tank that sounds as though it might work, and hoped for some reassurance that these fish should probably be okay with a rainbow, without a guarantee of course, since we never know for sure. Maybe hoped for some enthusiasm from someone that it sounds good. :(

Have had these rescue fish for almost a month now. Gourami is looking a lot better - coloured up a lot, not bothering other fish (so far, I'm still keeping a keen eye and prepared to move her if necessary), the cories look great and I can't wait to put them with my big crew, and I moved the single oto to my tank with seven other otos and pygmy cories today, so he has the company of other otos for what sounds like the first time in years. Finally found someone who wants and can house a rainbow shark, so I'd hoped people might be happy for me at least, even if it's not a fish they love.
The tank looked good to me for them! I actually liked my rainbows, I just rehomed them due to my tank tear downs

The tank looked good to me for them! I actually liked my rainbows, I just rehomed them due to my tank tear downs

Aawww, thanks @JuiceBox52 ! I'll update you on how he settles in, guy should be picking him up Wednesday and we'll be staying in touch since FB friends now, so I can know how he does in that set up. :) I like this guy too. Not enough to risk him with my fish! lol, my tank/stocking is totally unsuitable for a shark. But apart from chasing the gourami on day one, he's been an angel in QT, pretty much sticking to his cave. When I've dismantled his cave to do substrate cleanings he seems worried, and rushes back into it as soon as I put it back together.

If I had a big fish room and could maintain all the tanks I'd like, I'd set up a long river type set up for him and study the ecosystem they come from a bit, see what makes this fish tick. They're interesting, but understandably have such a bad rep because so few set ups are right for them. I'd like to learn more about them and see what could work well. But alas, I don't have endless tank space!

The only reason I haven't said much else is cause I don't know the fish well or the tank its going in too well but I will say that I'm happy for you. I'm glad you are taking your time and trying to make sure its the right decision and not just handing it off.

Aawww, thanks @JuiceBox52 ! I'll update you on how he settles in, guy should be picking him up Wednesday and we'll be staying in touch since FB friends now, so I can know how he does in that set up. :) I like this guy too. Not enough to risk him with my fish! lol, my tank/stocking is totally unsuitable for a shark. But apart from chasing the gourami on day one, he's been an angel in QT, pretty much sticking to his cave. When I've dismantled his cave to do substrate cleanings he seems worried, and rushes back into it as soon as I put it back together.

If I had a big fish room and could maintain all the tanks I'd like, I'd set up a long river type set up for him and study the ecosystem they come from a bit, see what makes this fish tick. They're interesting, but understandably have such a bad rep because so few set ups are right for them. I'd like to learn more about them and see what could work well. But alas, I don't have endless tank space!
I wish I had endless tank space too :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Back