Suitable Fish For Very Shallow Water?

strchrstph

New Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Southampton, Hampshire
I have a terrarium set up for my baby crested gecko and a third of the tank has a shallow pond of water at 1 1/2 inches deep. The water is filtered and airated by a waterfall which uses a small internal filter to pump the water. I was wondering if anyone knew of any tropical fish that could survive in this shallow water? My aim is to setup a complete ecosystem with fish/inverts for the water, microfauna to process the soil and of course my gecko as the terrestrial animal.

Any ideas would be a great help.
 
I don't think there are any fish suitable , but since the water is filtered then small shrimp , cherry shrimp possibly, may work .
 
Yeah I def wouldn't think about putting any fish in such a small amount of water. Maybe small shrimp or snails.
 
We have something similar set up at the place I work, and people have put White Cloud Minnows into the display. If it is not heated then these would be your best bet, as long as the pool of water is decently sized.
 
I was also going to say minnows^^^^

I would say either Fathead Minnows ... hehe...

OR

Rosy Reds. These little guys are more colorful than the Fathead minnows.

-FHM
 
What water volume are we talking here? Guesstimate would be fine, there is a big difference between a few gallons in a small tank at that depth, and a couple dozen gallons in a larger tank.
 
how bout plaice or sole
 
What water volume are we talking here? Guesstimate would be fine, there is a big difference between a few gallons in a small tank at that depth, and a couple dozen gallons in a larger tank.

It is a small area, probably about 1.5 gallons. I'm thinking from what has been said that a few small shrimp would be better then getting any fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top