What's new

Suggestions for centerpiece fish

Def

Reaction score
Hell is currently reviewing my application for res
Hey all,

Looking for some suggestions for a centerpiece fish. 27 gallon wide tank, gravel substrate, currently there are 6 full grown platys and a whole load of platy fry in it. I'll be giving away most of the platy fry when they get a bit bigger (leaving no more than 8 platys), and I'm considering getting a bristlenose for the bottom of the tank.

I'm looking for suggestions for a centerpiece fish, and also an alternative to the bristlenose for the bottom. I like the look of the bettas, but I'm a bit concerned that the platys will nip at it. For the bristlenose alternative I have no ideas, I like the sailfin plecs but they grow way too big for my tank. I want to decide this now rather than later when my tank may be close to max stock and so not enough room for the fish I want.

All suggestions appreciated, oh and if anyone is interested in some platy fry (prob a month or 2 before they're big enough) then let me know.

Thanks.

Vegan Peaches

Reaction score
How big is the tank? and cories will do nicely for the bottom ^^ I always throw this suggestion out because I liek them - angelfish make good center piece fish, and they attact attention from anyone who sees them. If you're looknig for something more the size of your platies, a really colorful male guppy might do well... ^.^

Reaction score
Butterfly fish...
Pair of rams...

Are you going for one big fish or could a pair work?

Not sure if you have to worry about the guppies nipping the betta. Chances are it would be the other way around.

OP
D

Def

Reaction score
Well I've settled on an L18 Gold Nugget plec for the bottom. I quite like cories, but the wife prefers the plec.

I can't get an angelfish, the tank isn't big enough. I don't like gouramis...

Now, I like the rams, they're nice. And wow, I've never seen a butterfly before if you mean this - Butterfly

I love the look of those. Only problem is the minimum tank size is 100 gallon, so mine is way too small...

Tempestuous, I don't have any guppies yet. Did you mean I don't have to worry about the platy's nipping the betta? If a betta would get along fine, I'll probably go for one of them.

White Whale

Granola bar gone bad....
Reaction score
A red-tailed shark. hey grow to about 6 inches.

Aquascaper

Reaction score
Def said:
Well I've settled on an L18 Gold Nugget plec for the bottom.
Make sure you water quality is tip-top :) . These little guys are really suseptible to bad water quality or mini-spikes of Ammonia & NitrIte. In my LFS's opinion they're one of the most fragile plecs. I've lost two of these guys, one due to water quality (the other got stuck under a rock - did I say they're a little stupid too :p ).

Good luck if you get one, they really stand out :D

OP
D

Def

Reaction score
Hm, I like that shark too. That's another potential option. MTS is beginning to set in, we were thinking about another tropical tank but now we're looking at big marine options :D . Just hope the floor can support it :unsure:

Hrm, I got totally the wrong butterfly fish there. That was clever of me :D

Jordan, UK, so doesn't look like you'll be able to have them. I found a local shop that will take some for store credit, but no idea how many they'll take (I have loads). I'll post another thread when they're a bit bigger and if the shop won't take them all (I'll be giving them away).

Thanks for the suggestions!