Suggestions for a desktop aquarium

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cuatromil

Reaction score
I want to setup a small desktop aquarium.

The picture in my mind is something around 10 liters, with short foregroung plants and a nice medium plant as the centerpice.

My question is the fish. I don't like bettas verymuch, so what kind of fish could you suggets?

I would like either a very colorful fish, or a fish that exhibits interesting behaviour, or, if it is not asking for too much, 5 or 6 small fish that will exhibit some kind of social behaviour. In essence, somethinbg to look at for hours on my employers time :)

I will really appreciat suggestions.

Pygmy cories and peacock gobies both stay small. I'm not sure of their tank requirements, however, but atleast it'll give you some ideas as to fish to look into. :D I know the peacocks are very colorful and active, and the pygmy cories are very active and interesting to watch.

in a tank that small you don't really hav a choice exept bettas imo

i used to have a 2 gal and i tried a few fish in it, none were happy at all except the betta

i dont think bettas look good with plants, for a more natural look get a few white cloud minnows, tetras or very small danios

how big/sturdy is your desk? and how much of it do you really use? In my dorm at school I have a 10g with my alarm clock, phone, and laptop on it, plus room for papers/books, also a nice canopy for your desk (if it's against the wall will help to store desk items, and you'd be able to get a larger tank on the desk. just a thought don't know if it's realistic for you or not, but it would definelty open up your options on what fish you could have.

what about a paradise fish? They are a little on the aggressive side so a 10 gallon would be perfect for one fish....and are gorgeous! (You can also get them in different colour variations.

*Edit...Ahem...sorry about that, mis-read your post, thought you said 10G not 10L Maybe sticking with a betta (though not the most interesting fish...personally) would be a good idea unless you fancy aquatic frogs ;)

my beta is extremely happy in the tankits liek a mansion to her i will post a pic later i only have a few fake plants in it my 29g has all the real ones

I don't think you could put anything else in there except for a betta.... If you think common bettas are not that great, try to look up different strains of betta on the net like crowbtails, splittails...etc...and i'm sure you'd love them....

Thank you very much, i had to settle fopr the betta.

I set up the tank with a couple of ferns growing on a small thin piece of driftwood (plantelets from Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' I bought from tropica a few months ago) to hide the filter, a few Marsilea hirsuta runners in the foreground, a small amazon swordplant as a centerpiece, and Vallisneria for backdrop.

I think this aquarium will take more gardening than fishkeeping :)

I finally settled for a betta. I went to 8 fish stores, all where overstocked with bettas, and they where kept in appaling conditions. I got a 'normal' betta with torqouise body, and deep blue red streaked fins.

I have to say the betta does look happy, and the small tank looks very natural. The betta actually rest under the Sordplant's shade when there is too much light, and at othertimes looks like it is resting on top of the Marsilea, like a butterfly. The driftwood is still giving up tannins, and the slighly brownish water makes the setup look al the more natural and warm.

I read elswhere that this is exactly the environment that bettas like, with lots of shade, plants, almsot still water, and lots of decompossing leaves. I beleive that to prepare a betta for a fight or help it recover, they are put in dark containers with leaves from a tropical tree. The leaves release tannins that harden the scales and help the fins regrow.

But I find the betta, although beautiful, lacking in personality. I think I will put this tank on the secretary's desk, and setup a kuhli loach tank for my desk.

Give the guy some time...it takes some bettas time to get use to their new human, and the new environment. It took most of my bettas atleast a week (even a month with some) to show their true personalities.

Most reactions

Back