Sudden Blobbing Of Something On Inner Glass...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nosphaer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Over the last few days, nothing abnormal has happened to my fishtank, so I would have to call a recent happening "sudden".

I was observing the fish I have, when I suddenly noticed some faint, somewhat transparent blobs of what looks slightly like bacteria colonization on the inner glass, frontal side. When I saw it, I turned the filter off and scraped the majority of it off, with much of it sliding off into the water. The substance forms in little, mainly rounded spots and splashes, all smaller than a peppercorn. They seem to be a whitish tone, possible with a very slight tint of orange, red, or yellow.

Is this possibly just snail gunk of some kind, or might it be an algae or bacterial formation? The two snails I have show little bits of algae on their shells, but they did so a while before I saw anything like this.

(EDIT - I also forgot to mention the following. It's hard to tell for sure, but after turning the filter back on, I did notice the fish slightly swarming the stuff, much of it being just within macroscopic size, for me. They may have been feeding on it, but I don't want to jump to the conclusion... I didn't see them consume a lot of it.)

(EDIT2 - My fish seem to be cleaning house ._. There's a shortage among them that -aren't- eating the stuff... I suppose I should not be worried, in this case...)

Do you have cory's in this tank? If so they sound kinda like Cory eggs.

sounds like snails eggs to me

Goodness... No Cories, yet, but that actually seems possible. Perhaps they were snail eggs.

I'll wait to scrape next time, since I would like to see such...

I must admit, I never considered that my snails were the variety which laid eggs underwater.

Goodness... No Cories, yet, but that actually seems possible. Perhaps they were snail eggs.

I must admit, I never considered that my snails were the variety which laid eggs underwater.

depends what type snails they are

depends what type snails they are

I see. These were sold to me as Blue Mystery Snails... I know that this variety actually has two sexes, both necessary for reproduction. Some lay their eggs underwater, but many lay them above water. I've never Identified my snails by species, though.

EDIT - I'll continue to observe, since there's still a number of things identifying them not as snail eggs, especially how they're very scattered, with no apparent embryo (Possibly unfertilized eggs). Thank you, though, for helping me put this idea into consideration.

Most reactions

Back