Such Amazing Animals!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CuriousOne

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Newer to Tropical Fish Keeping - Addicted and want every fish!

Bought a 20Gal... for my daughter ;) Now I'm hooked. 

20 Gal
- 6 H. Rasbosa
- 1 Gold Nugget Pleco
- 3 Veil Angels
- 3 Jullian, 3 Peppered, 1 Panda Cory
- 3 Red Cherry Shrimp

10 Gallon
- 3 Pea Puffers
- 1 Scarlett Krib

Oddly this seems to be working out fine ?  Picked up the 10 Gal when the Krib was too active and bugging the fam fav. Gold Nugget Pleco - went to the LFS and saw the Pea Puffers.... I just had to have so thought I'd see how the 2 get along (against everything I read - don't know what I was thinking) perhaps hoping it would lead to another tank :) So went back to the store before they were all gone and put them in with the Krib... they seem very content with one another after 2 weeks.... This will be temp until the Krib gets a bit bigger and needs ANOTHER tank of course :) 

Hi CuriousOne! Welcome! :)
Hopefully you have as much fun as I do with my tank!
Care to post a few pictures?
Cheers!

Great setup, I love all my tanks...I strongly recommend Amano Shrimps....They actually take food from my hand and are such characters!! would love to see some pics of your tank.

welcome

-angels cannot be kept in a 20 gallon, it is too small, they will outgrow it very fast.they need at least 30 gallons per angel.
-cories need to be kept in groups of a minimum of 3, but better to have 6+ of their own species.
-pleco will grow to around 9 inches i believe, and the tank is too small when that time comes. nice fish, but needs bigger set up.
- the cherry shrimp will be eaten by the other fish, angels will eat them right when they are able to fit into it's mouth.
i would recommend to rehome the angels (or get a bigger tank :D) then stick with one species of cory, rehome the ones you don't want .. in this case rehome the panda.. and stick with only the peppered.. don't know what other cory you have there.
then the cherry might be eaten by the rasbora i think, not to sure on that one.

for your 10, the puffers will attack your krib and eat the fins. i believe they need brackish water and the krib. don't know much about, but i think it needs schooling fish around it to feed more comfortable.

i know it sucks when someone tells you that you are doing something wrong, but in the long run you'll see eye to eye and understand when you become more experienced. did the exact same thing and wish i never did... 

now you need to cycle your tank if you already didn't.. look on this site to make sure that you did. if you don't cycle your tank or do weekly water changes then you are going to have lots of issues, from bad habitat to dying fish.

BerryAttack said:
for your 10, the puffers will attack your krib and eat the fins. i believe they need brackish water
Pea puffers are freshwater fish.  Putting them in brackish water will kill them.  But I agree, the krib won't survive in there with the pea puffers.  IMO, a 10 gallon is too small for 3 pea puffers.  There may be territorial issues when they grow up.

CuriousOne said:
Newer to Tropical Fish Keeping - Addicted and want every fish!

Bought a 20Gal... for my daughter
wink.png
Now I'm hooked. 

20 Gal
- 6 H. Rasbosa
- 1 Gold Nugget Pleco
- 3 Veil Angels
- 3 Jullian, 3 Peppered, 1 Panda Cory
- 3 Red Cherry Shrimp

10 Gallon
- 3 Pea Puffers
- 1 Scarlett Krib
Oddly this seems to be working out fine ?  Picked up the 10 Gal when the Krib was too active and bugging the fam fav. Gold Nugget Pleco - went to the LFS and saw the Pea Puffers.... I just had to have so thought I'd see how the 2 get along (against everything I read - don't know what I was thinking) perhaps hoping it would lead to another tank
smile.png
So went back to the store before they were all gone and put them in with the Krib... they seem very content with one another after 2 weeks.... This will be temp until the Krib gets a bit bigger and needs ANOTHER tank of course
smile.png

Is the tank cycled? 

Angelfish grow to at least 1 foot in height when mature in just a normal aquarium.

Stick to one speies of corydoras only, as they are schooling fish/

The 10 is too small for the pea puffers and If not provided with hiding spaces(plants and other deco) will tend to bite bits off of each other, And will probably kill the kribensis.

Both of your tanks should be upgraded

And these are the fish you should rehom:
Kribensis
2 species of corydoras

BerryAttack said:
welcome

-angels cannot be kept in a 20 gallon, it is too small, they will outgrow it very fast.they need at least 30 gallons per angel.
-cories need to be kept in groups of a minimum of 3, but better to have 6+ of their own species.
-pleco will grow to around 9 inches i believe, and the tank is too small when that time comes. nice fish, but needs bigger set up.
- the cherry shrimp will be eaten by the other fish, angels will eat them right when they are able to fit into it's mouth.
i would recommend to rehome the angels (or get a bigger tank
biggrin.png
) then stick with one species of cory, rehome the ones you don't want .. in this case rehome the panda.. and stick with only the peppered.. don't know what other cory you have there.
then the cherry might be eaten by the rasbora i think, not to sure on that one.

for your 10, the puffers will attack your krib and eat the fins. i believe they need brackish water and the krib. don't know much about, but i think it needs schooling fish around it to feed more comfortable.

i know it sucks when someone tells you that you are doing something wrong, but in the long run you'll see eye to eye and understand when you become more experienced. did the exact same thing and wish i never did... 

now you need to cycle your tank if you already didn't.. look on this site to make sure that you did. if you don't cycle your tank or do weekly water changes then you are going to have lots of issues, from bad habitat to dying fish.
Thank you for you comments and I have no issues with the fine folks here providing some insight!  Its why I signed up!  Many thanks!

The tanks are fully cycled and running very well.  Water changes of 10 to 20% every 2-3 days are performed 40/50% once a month - everything has been stable for months now!  Tank is also planted with Java Fern, Annubius - (Nana and Heterophylla) sand area, gravel area and drift woods and a caved river rock area for the Pleco

To further my "plan" as many have this concern
The Puffers will move to the 20, the 20 will become a 55+ (as big as I can go for now hope around 70 to 90) - so yes, the fish I have will exceed the 20, but at this moment, all is fine and the new home will be here well in advance of them running out of room.

I will now disagree based on my experince with these Cory's... all 7 of these guys hang out with one another and 'school' together well. I have read and seen on youtube the same results in others tanks - Albeit, I cannot argue that you are CORRECT that we should go with 6 as a best practice.  Once I move to the much larger tank, I'll add 3 more of each and hopefully 5 Pandas!

A link to the  False Julii Cory (became my fav. Cory quickly and if going to one would be the one I go with)
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+1161+1176&pcatid=1176

Puffers - such an interesting fish!  The eyes, the way they move, the colour... just the way the fish moves - very neat fish.  They are def. fresh water for their whole lives. Right now they are in a well planted tank (Annubius, Dwarf star lily, Java Fern, Hygrophila Rose, Mauritian Lilaeopsis ) with caves and drift wood to lower aggression and keep them busy.  The Krib stays to himself and the puffers have not bothered with him at all.  He will soon be in the 10 with some dither fish and perhaps a partner!
wink.png
I find him such a great fish but too aggressive for the pleco.

I do run a 3500 gal Koi pond (yes huge) as well - 5 to 9yr old Koi's (I'm sure younger too now hiding somewhere) many 12 to 24inch. Some Native frogs have joined the party (a great indicator of good water quality) So newer to Tropicals but fully understand fish care.

Working on Pictures... hope to have them posted shortly! 

Thanks again - hope to hear from you again!
smile.png

Now - work on posting pictures (I think I saw a post on this
tongue2.gif
)

well the way that you are thinking is great, up grading and everything. the 55 might still be small, but if you get a pair out of the angels that you have now then there shouldn't be an issue. you'll just have to keep the pair and the others will be rehomed.
if you get a tank i would recommend a breed style or long style. you are able to do more with the breeder when coming to aquascaping with the plants etc and schooling fish do better because they are given a larger around to move around compared to if you get a tall style tank.

BerryAttack said:
well the way that you are thinking is great, up grading and everything. the 55 might still be small, but if you get a pair out of the angels that you have now then there shouldn't be an issue. you'll just have to keep the pair and the others will be rehomed.
if you get a tank i would recommend a breed style or long style. you are able to do more with the breeder when coming to aquascaping with the plants etc and schooling fish do better because they are given a larger around to move around compared to if you get a tall style tank.
Thanks - sounds like that's the way to go.  Bigger is always better so 55gal may be out - or become the 'small tank'.
What's the difference between "long" and "breed style"?

breeder has more area, but less height, while the long is a longer tank, but with not as wide area.

example of a 40 gallon

40 Long 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 16 7/8 40 Breeder
40 breeder 36 3/16 x 18 1/4 x 16 15/16
45 Gallon 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 23 3/4

this site has some more examples and sizes

http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

Breeder is for the ones who like to have only top dwelling or bottom dwelling fish, not much room in it for mid dwellers

Long is good for schools but can make turning for longer fish a pain

CuriousOne said:

Thanks - sounds like that's the way to go.  Bigger is always better so 55gal may be out - or become the 'small tank'.
What's the difference between "long" and "breed style"?

I would say 10g is suitable for 3 dwarf puffers as long as 1 is male and 2 are females.  I keep a mated pair in a 5g with no issues whatsoever.  As far as the krib goes, for sure rehome him fast, the pea puffers are all sweet when they are babies, and when they reach adulthood they generally make a turn for the dark side LOL.   

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back