Successful Breeding...

Elliottc26

New Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Points
0
A few weeks ago, my zebra danios began breeding. They would flit about, quite violently, and I thought it would be a good idea to try and save some fry to stock my 125 litre tank with.

My first move was to visit 'Pets At Home'. There I bought a 25 litre tank, small sponge filter and pump, thermometer and heater. I also bought some API aquarium salt, safe guard and safe water, Hikari Tropical First Bites and Tetramin baby food. When I got home I set up this tank using the water from the main tank to begin with.

I tried placing the Danios in this new tank; but they would not spawn!! Frustrated after 3 days, I returned them to the main tank where they began spawning again.

Instead, I got my syphon out and sucked the water out from the bottom of the tank, ruffling the gravel near their spawning area, into a bucket. Using my net, I sifted through the silt to find the little clear eggs. I placed these in the new tank. I also found some fry, so these went in as well.

After 24-30 hours, the small tank was heaving with fry. Some free swimming and some clinging to the side of the tank. I began feeding the powdered food three times a day - once in the morning, at 6pm and 11pm.

Online, I found a site selling Brine Shrimp eggs and hatchers, so, I bought some with yet another air pump. They arrived 2 days later, so, I set this up when the fry were about 1.5 weeks old and started feeding live food, and powdered.

They are now 3 weeks old with all surviving and doing well. Some are bigger than others; but all seem active and swimming and eating. I have introduced some snails to eat the food at the bottom (the fry eat this too! - gutty pigs!!!). To my horror, the snails have bred also, so, I remove the eggs.

I feed them on live brine shrimp, powdered food and have today started feeding frozen Daphnia. Am wondering whether or not to start feeding flake food yet??? Hmmmm. Unsure.

I do a water change (20-25%) every 2-3 days, using tap water. I add to the water safe guard, safe water and aquarium salt (also used in main tank). My method seems to work fine with a water temperature of 26 - 27 degrees C (80 F). I am surprised at how lively these fry are as I have never bred fish before!!!

My advice to anyone wishing to breed these amazing fish is this: have a go!!! It is very rewarding and not as hard as I thought it might be.
 
why are you adding salt? i thought they were FW fish??


I add salt as it is supposed to improve gill function and help with disease recovery. As I use this in my main tank, thought it best to get them used to it! It also aids in reducing stress. Oh, and helps FW fish with coloration and vitality...
 
why are you adding salt? i thought they were FW fish??


I add salt as it is supposed to improve gill function and help with disease recovery. As I use this in my main tank, thought it best to get them used to it! It also aids in reducing stress. Oh, and helps FW fish with coloration and vitality...


i know it says this on the box but you shouldnt use salt for no reason, it can be harmful to some species, and should be used with great care and only on species such as mollies , bbg's etc. or for salt baths etc.
 
why are you adding salt? i thought they were FW fish??


I add salt as it is supposed to improve gill function and help with disease recovery. As I use this in my main tank, thought it best to get them used to it! It also aids in reducing stress. Oh, and helps FW fish with coloration and vitality...


i know it says this on the box but you shouldnt use salt for no reason, it can be harmful to some species, and should be used with great care and only on species such as mollies , bbg's etc. or for salt baths etc.

Oh really...ok. Wasn't aware of that!
 
Congrats on the fry. I was thinking of breeding something alittle more difficult that livebearers, and I think these might be my answer, since I cant get a tank big enough for Cichlids. Anyways, what size is your tank? How many and what kind o fish you have in it? How long have your had these danios before they started breeding? Thanks
 
congrats on the babies

i took some java moss out of my main tank and put it over in my new shrimp tank the next day there was 6 little baby fish swimming around, i have been feeding them micro worms they look like danios to me :hyper:

sharon
 
When they grow up a little please let us know if some of the zebra fry turned out to be leopard danios....I have this experience that in every batch of zebra fry, about 10% reverts to leopard danios. Maybe it's just a "inbreeding" thing in my region, but I'd really want to know.
 
Congrats on the fry. I was thinking of breeding something alittle more difficult that livebearers, and I think these might be my answer, since I cant get a tank big enough for Cichlids. Anyways, what size is your tank? How many and what kind o fish you have in it? How long have your had these danios before they started breeding? Thanks


Hi, thanks. My main tank is 125 litres, the nursery tank is 25 litres. I have Danios, Gouramis, a silver shark, neons, a pleco and coridoras. I have had the danios for about 5 months. Main tank has gravel, an airstone and live plants, pebbles and a rock. The main tank is at 26 degrees celsius. Best of luck, let us know how you get on...

When they grow up a little please let us know if some of the zebra fry turned out to be leopard danios....I have this experience that in every batch of zebra fry, about 10% reverts to leopard danios. Maybe it's just a "inbreeding" thing in my region, but I'd really want to know.


Hi, yeah no problem...wil keep you posted...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top