Substrate Swap

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok, is there any way I can change over my substrate to something a little more plant friendly without stripping the tank right down?
At the moment I've got basic 3-5mm gravel and want to swap over, gradually or all in one, to a better substrate. Has anyone ever attempted this (sucessfully)?
The tank is a Rio 400 so I can't afford anything expensive (my twins see to most of my money).

I've thought of placing the new substrate in plastic bags. I would remove the existing substrate from an area of the tank, carefully place the new substrate and place a layer of fine gravel over the new substrate. This should minimise the disruption but will undoubtedly cause a major clouding of the water.

Any thoughts people?

WK

Ok, is there any way I can change over my substrate to something a little more plant friendly without stripping the tank right down?
At the moment I've got basic 3-5mm gravel and want to swap over, gradually or all in one, to a better substrate. Has anyone ever attempted this (sucessfully)?
The tank is a Rio 400 so I can't afford anything expensive (my twins see to most of my money).

I've thought of placing the new substrate in plastic bags. I would remove the existing substrate from an area of the tank, carefully place the new substrate and place a layer of fine gravel over the new substrate. This should minimise the disruption but will undoubtedly cause a major clouding of the water.

Any thoughts people?

WK

You've got the idea correct. I swapped from gravel to sand in stages. Remove say a qtr of the tank's gravel and replace with the new substrate. Allow to settle for a couple of days, then replace the next section. You can use slate pieces to cordon off the new substrate from the old. This will help prevent mixing of the two substrates.

Yes, its tricky to introduce new substrate without clouding. Using a funnel to introduce the substrate helps reduce this. I reduced the water level to about 3 inches over the substrate level before attempting it.

I was going to attempt this a few months ago, but ended up chickening out and breaking the tank down. However... at the time my LFS guy advised me to place the new substrate into ice cube trays, saturate it with water gently and then freeze it. Then you can pop the cubes into place where you need them. Obviously this could get quite laborious depending on the surface area to be replaced.

My advice is dont do it without stripping the tank. I would get a plastic container and net the livestock, move them to the container with a small cannister filter and heater. Then you can work a lot easier.

I removed the front portion of my substrate a few months ago to replace with sand, I will never do it again far too difficult, time consuming and messy. Seriously you are better draining the tank and working in that way.

Most reactions

Back