Subdued Fish, Not Looking Too Good

tom_os

fish
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
1,483
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Devon, England
all my fish in my 60l tank dont seem to be very active today.

i have 5 black phantom tetras, 1 pitbul pleco, 4 danios and 6 cories

the cories are just resting on the bottom, not digging around like they normally do. 1 danio is right at the surface but not heavily breating or anything. the others are down the bottom.

did my normal 40% weekly water change toady. added stress coat dechlorinator as usual.

ammonia: 0
nitrite:0
nitrate: 0 after w/c. normally about 30
ph: 7.8

nothing recently has been added, apart from the pitbull on thursday. but he seems fine and all the fish were fine before today

can anyone help
 
I posted on you other thread, already. I'm no expert, but are the danios lying on the bottom or just floating closer to the bottom than usual? do they come up for food? also, do you have an air pump?

I doubt your fish are in any immediate danger, though, so don't worry if it takes a couple of hours for someone to answer. ;)
 
sorry didnt see your answer there.

most of them are at the top now, with the heads touching the surface. i have an air pump on all day it is on now.

i dont tend to feed them on water change days so i havnt fed them today.

should i just see what happens tomorrow?
 
Well, if the air pump is on, they should be getting enough oxygen. Are there any other symptoms that you can see? heavy breathing? bulging eyes? Is it possible that you got soap in the new water? If not, I can only suggest leaving it another day. my fish sometimes stick their heads up at the surface for a while and it just goes away after a few hours.

The only other suggestion I have would be to try feeding them. Fish can easily go without food for a day, but if you're doing it regularly, they may just be hungry. I have had fish which haven't gotten enough food hang around the surface looking for some. How much food do your fish get? Try putting just a few flakes in and see if they eat them. If they have an appetite, they probably aren't too sick.
 
i feed them flakes everyday and bloodworms about once a week. i will give them a bit now.

also in my other tank i just found a dead panda corie? i have no idea why the other 3 are fine.
 
Well, you definately seem to be feeding them nicely. :)

I'm so sorry about your cory. :rip: I've never had a cory before, so I can't help you much there...if you did a 40% water change, the water should be "clean" ... :(
 
thanks well he was in a different tank which was water changed a week ago and i am doing it again tomorrow.

i guess it is just one of those things
 
yeah, who knows? old age? I hope all your other fish stay healthy though. Maybe someone else will have more help to offer later.
 
i only had him about 1 month

i just fed the fish this topic was started for and they all seem to eat apart from one who is still at the surface although it looks like little flakes are going to his mouth but hes not actung like the others.

he also has a white lump on his lip, he has had this for about 2 months. people on here wernt sure so i didnt add and medication. he has been perfctly fine until today.

any ideas?
 
I'm not too sure about white lumps, since I've never had to deal with anything like that myself, but not using medication was probably pretty good advice. Has the lump grown at all since you first noticed it? Again, if they're eating and acting normally otherwise, in your situation I would wait it out for another day. I don't think I'm being much help though ;) and I'm not too experienced, so I hope someone with a better idea comes along.
 
also in my other tank i just found a dead panda corie? i have no idea why the other 3 are fine.


Hi tom_os :)

Your signature says that your other tank has 8 corys and a betta. What happened to the other 4 corys?
 
Hi tom_os :)

Oh, that's good. I was a little worried. Pandas are a bit more delicate than the albinos. If the water is less than ideal, or if they are stressed by the other fish, they will not thrive.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top