Sub-tropical Section In The Forum...?

Reaction score
Over the last couple of days, i have been doing alot of research on sub-tropical fish after i found that wcmm's are sub-tropical fish rather than tropical or coldwater ones, and then started to discover how many hundreds upon hundreds of other sub-tropical fish are out there- many of which were fish that before hand i considered were true tropical or coldwater fish, like many of the danio, tetra, loach and cory/catfish species out there.

I was wondering, wether theres any posibility, that a sub-tropical section could be set up in the forum? This forum from what i have gathered, is here so people can exchange information about fish keeping so we can all look after our fish better and become better fish keepers in general, so it makes sense that this forum sets up another section for sub-tropical fish?
I know i would have probably known alot more on sub-tropical fish if there had been a section of some sort here for them, i think by getting one it would also help educate many other people about fish that live in these temps and set ups and help them give their fish what they need to the best of their abilitys :nod: :thumbs: .

What do you guys think :dunno: ?

It sounds good to me;
however I think "the powers that be" will decline the idea

I think it would become very confusing to be honest. Like you said, there's quite some corries that are concidered 'sub-tropical', yet there are many that are definatly tropical. Most persons however will not know whether they should post their question in the sub-tropical section or the catfish (in the tropical) section. I don't think many people would use it to be very honest.

Don't forget that most new persons to this forum come here to learn about their fish. They'll already be happy if they know what exactly their fish is called, it would be very confusing if all their posts had to get moved for them because the water temperature the fish is supposed to live in is a couple of C cooler.

Either way though, although it may make confusing at first, but im sure there are alot of people that would rather know if there fish is sub tropical, coldwater or tropical or even brackish or marine, prefering fast flowing water or slow, black water or RO water etc etc...
The newb's may be confused at first, but then again they can check out the sub tropical section whenever they feel the need to- for example, somone may have a tank with some albino corys, zebra danios, wcmm's and bloodfin tetras and are keeping them at hot tropical temps like 27 degrees thinking they are tropical fish, when all they have to do is turn the temp down to somthing more sub tropical, and all of their fish will be a whole lot happier and healthier :nod: .
It may also lower the amount of issues in the emergency section as well, if people are acclimatising and keeping their fish in the right temps, or explain why certain fish just seem to randomly die off.

I think though when it comes down to it, the issue with the mods having even more topics to move around is not that important as long as they are roughly in the right sectin- just because a cory is sub tropical but in the catfish section, would not mean it would be moved to the sub tropical section; but adding a sub tropical section though for those it would benefet would help an aweful lot of people as far as gaining more knowlege on fish keeping and keeping happier fish in general.
Would you buy bloodfin tetras or wcmm's for example for your tropical tank knowing that they would not enjoy it and not live out their natural life expectancys even if you looked after them well?

I think it is a great idea. Finding out more about your fish means you can make a better home for them.

Fot instance just the other day I found out my weather loach and wcmm in my small tank like fast flowing water so I have turned the filter up and added some airstones.

Most reactions

Back