Stupid Coral Question

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

question for Navarre, or anyone else that might know. if you have a mech filter that is rated for a higher capacity tank could this cause a higher nitrate count? that is could the larger area in the canister cause more nitrate production due to the increases bactiria count?

Not QUITE how it works ;). What raises the nitrates is that the mechanical filter (large or small) traps detritus away from possible re-cycling cleanup crew organisms. That detritus then gets a chance to FULLY break down into nitrate and release more nutrients into the tank than if it were re-cycled by a scavenger or cleanup crew organism and used for energy that way. It really has nothing to do with the bacteria count. Yes, there will be more bacteria on a larger filter, but they are only there because the larger filter will trap more detritus. Kinda like a chicken before the egg sort of thing ;)

Thanks,I couldnt have explained it any better myself :good:

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the HOT magnum, but is there anyway I can keep it running in the tank? Right now, I have carbon in it. Can I replace it with anything, or maybe just get of any media all together? I really like using the water polished filter that it comes with.

Well, I made the big order from HelloLights. I finally decided to go with the single 65w Coralife. I don't see myself getting into more light demanding corals in the next year, so it seemed like the smart choice. I figure if in a year or so I want to upgrade, I'll have another tank by then :rolleyes: and use this fixture for that tank. So, I'll be getting the new lights on Thursday, and I'll be getting a powerhead by then.

Now, the conflict of covering the tank. I went to my friendly neighborhood Home Depot and found the egg crate. I don't think this is going to work for me, since it won't help reduce evaporation and won't help the salt creep. So, next to the egg crate was a clear diffuser (what is on the outside of flourescent lights). I think this will work better for me. I'm hoping it will let enough light into the tank.

My lfs had a frag of some nice hammer coral. I figure if it's still there in a week, it's meant to be.....

Can you take a picture of the thing you got instead of the egg crate? Egg crate is that plastic sheet stuff with lots of square holes right?

Your wish is my command.....

A close up of the material. It's a firm plastic, with a raised diamond pattern on one side...

100_1277.jpg

And smooth on the other side....
100_1281.jpg

100_1279.jpg

100_1280.jpg

Ok, hope these help.

Yes, what I found as egg crate, were plastic sheets of square holes.

Oh, and as powerheads go....any recommendations? I was looking at FosterandSmith, and can't believe all of the choices... :blink: I liked the azoo, but I also liked the idea of ones that automatically rotate. Is this beneficial?

Power Sweep

Azoo

AquaClear

And what about this little gizmo?
Wavemaker

It's a nice idea, but I'm wondering if the added cost would be justified.

Thanks for all of your advice.....and patience.

Well, I dunno about that stuff, looks pretty light-impenetrable to me. By all means try it, but you might be sucking away too much light with that.

As for powerheads, look into Seios or Tunzes, those ones you listed to be honest dont have a good track record.

That's what I wonder too, but I figure at $5, I could atleast try it. I put in on my aquarium with my current light, and I didn't notice a difference in the light in the tank. But I'm sure there could be a significant difference that my eyes wouldn't be able to detect.

That's what I wonder too, but I figure at $5, I could atleast try it. I put in on my aquarium with my current light, and I didn't notice a difference in the light in the tank. But I'm sure there could be a significant difference that my eyes wouldn't be able to detect.

They use that stuff in my office too, on the striplights as a diffuser - to remove the higher intensity areas just below the light and the darker areas as you move away.

Intention being to spread the light accross the widest areas possible - I think the little shapes you can see on the sheet act like lenses; doesn't actuall cost much light but just spreads it out more.

That is the true egg crate people in this hobby use! :good: It allows for light to pass through relatively un-obstructed, whilst preventing escapee's. Its also useful for fragging! :shifty: Id say the stuff you bought might dissipates too much light. As suggested, their use is for spreading light. Up to you, your the one who can see the tank! :good:

They use that stuff in my office too, on the striplights as a diffuser - to remove the higher intensity areas just below the light and the darker areas as you move away.

Intention being to spread the light accross the widest areas possible - I think the little shapes you can see on the sheet act like lenses; doesn't actuall cost much light but just spreads it out more.

Agreed, and thats kind of counter-productive to what we aquarists are trying to do which is focus light down on the tank ;)

I don't suppose there's anyway to measure the amount of light getting into the tank? Probably just wait and see. I won't start with any LPS, so I'll assume if the zoos and star polpys aren't looking good, I'll need to rethink this.

It will be on the tank opposite of how it's used with floruscents. Not sure if this makes a difference or not....not quite as mentally sharp as some of you when it comes to this physics/science stuff. ;)

Most reactions

Back