Strip Test Kits

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ami

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

I know that strip tests are less accurate, but I was wondering if they would be okay to use as a quick test each week, as long as I always test properly with liquid test kits once a month say?

I was considering buying some Precision Labs Aquarium Test Strips as they are quite cheap, about £10 for 50 strips, however I've read that there is some concern about their accuarcy with salt water. I'm mainly FW, but do have a BW tank and wondered if anyone had expericence of these strips?

Responses would be appreciated as I need to place an order for dried foods and liquid tests this week and planned to add the strip tests to the order.

Thanks
:D

Personally I wouldn't bother - and just stick with the liquid. The strips are just far too vague and often "bleed" giving very mixed and inconsistent results.

Edit: I'm talking about FW :)

Och, I was hoping someone would say they'd be okay for just quick tests cos it's a pain in the backside using my liquid ones all the time and takes way longer than I would like.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to put up with it until someone invents a better strip test!
:S

Cheers Bloo

Oh - any idea why the strips don't include an ammonia test? Seeing as this is the main thing I'd want them for anyway! :blink:

lol it's less than a 5 minute job - and while you wait (how long depends on the test) you can feed and look at your fish ;-)

Oooh they're cheaper than the Tetra tests etc that I normally use and I like the idea of the dropper bottles. Plus they've got a master test kit for under £18 - although it doesn't include hardness, they do have a hardness test separate and it's still way cheaper than the amount I normally pay.

One question before it clinches the deal - do you know if they all have only one solution? I'm getting very annoyed with my current nitrate kits and their 3 solutions plus poweder approach!
:crazy:

Nitrate is two bottles - the rest one only (I think) :S Ammonia might be two too. But that's just the way that sort of stuff works.

API is really good stuff - and by far the best of any kit / product I've yet used.

Edit: And most you can use for SW too - just can't remember off-hand which. So guess brackish water should be fine to use on too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back