Stressed Gsp Please Help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

herguitarist94

Reaction score
i have a 20 gallon tank, 20 gallon filter, and 100 watt heater, the temperature of my tank stays at 78-80 degrees, i had 3 GSP's in this tank until i found out i couldn't have so many in such a small tank, so i got rid of the other 2 (to a trusted puffer owner) thinking that my fish would be less stressed, but for some reason he/she has gotten brown on its belly. i have taken my water to pet smart (about an hour ago) and they said my water was perfect for the fish and there was no ammonia and everything was fine, so why is it so stressed? its now alone so shouldn't it be happy? i haven't had it for very long so i doubt there was a relationship in the tank, but what could be wrong? the only thing i can think of is the ammonia spike that occurs while a tank is cycling because i didn't really wait too long after setting up the tank to put him in, only 24 hours, which i know was bad now, but i didn't then. i was only told it needed to cycle for that long so i did that, but aside from that what is wrong with my poor puffer?

Well if you only cycled your tank for 24 hours then its not cycled and it is cycling right now so that would be the problem! You need to get your own test kit I would suggest getting a API master testkit the liquid one don't get the strips there to inaccurate. I would get this like tomorrow if you can. Tonight I would do a 75% water change to bring the ammonia down some which I'm sure is present. Just because the guy at the store said your water is fine doesn't mean anything. Seeing how you already have a fish you will need to preform a fishin cycle and you can find a link to this is my sig below. Another thing that could be stressing him out is the tank is still new to him so it will take time for him to adjust.

i have a 20 gallon tank, 20 gallon filter, and 100 watt heater, the temperature of my tank stays at 78-80 degrees, i had 3 GSP's in this tank until i found out i couldn't have so many in such a small tank, so i got rid of the other 2 (to a trusted puffer owner) thinking that my fish would be less stressed, but for some reason he/she has gotten brown on its belly. i have taken my water to pet smart (about an hour ago) and they said my water was perfect for the fish and there was no ammonia and everything was fine, so why is it so stressed? its now alone so shouldn't it be happy? i haven't had it for very long so i doubt there was a relationship in the tank, but what could be wrong? the only thing i can think of is the ammonia spike that occurs while a tank is cycling because i didn't really wait too long after setting up the tank to put him in, only 24 hours, which i know was bad now, but i didn't then. i was only told it needed to cycle for that long so i did that, but aside from that what is wrong with my poor puffer?

Puffers are not like goldfish that are retarded! puffers are intelligent so since there is no disease in your tank. It can only mean 1 thing he/she is bored in your tank since you took the other 2 away he has nothing to do and is lonely. Puffers love to explore stuff like caves and rocks plants etc, does your tank have alot of that for him? to be honest GSPs do better in pairs, a 20 US gallon tank is good enough for two small gsps. I say get his friend back in there :good: ;)

Another thing you do know these fish are brackish to full marine right? Meaning they should have marine salt in the water. Do you have him in fresh water now?

Puffers are not like goldfish that are retarded! puffers are intelligent so since there is no disease in your tank. It can only mean 1 thing he/she is bored in your tank since you took the other 2 away he has nothing to do and is lonely. Puffers love to explore stuff like caves and rocks plants etc, does your tank have alot of that for him? to be honest GSPs do better in pairs, a 20 US gallon tank is good enough for two small gsps. I say get his friend back in there :good: ;)
How do you figure goldfish are "retarded" there very intelligent fish.

yes altho i have not tested the saliniity or spacific gravity yet, i have put about 3 tbl spoons of salt in the tank (aquarium salt) saturday i am going to get a test kit, hydrometer and a siphon

yes altho i have not tested the saliniity or spacific gravity yet, i have put about 3 tbl spoons of salt in the tank (aquarium salt) saturday i am going to get a test kit, hydrometer and a siphon
You need marine salt not aquarium salt there not the same thing!

oh?! i had no idea! crap. whats the difference, and how do i get the aquarium salt out???????

buy marine salt and replace all the water with marine salt

great, so now my fish will be even more stressed out =/ whats the diference? what does the aquarium salt do???? so my water isnt salty? its fresh? my poor fish =/

marine salt is full of minerals can be expensive as $3.75 / lb. Your water is salty, but a different salty. Think of Aquarium Salt as the Stuff you put on food. Marine Salt is taken straight out of the Sea, so marine salt turns freshwater into seawater which is what your puffer needs

yea but does this meen my water is fresh right now? what does aquarium salt even do???

yea but does this meen my water is fresh right now? what does aquarium salt even do???

Aquarium Salt is a basic salt very similar to salt we eat. Aquarium Salt is used in freshwater tanks to add a little tonic to it ie(Aquarium Salt is good for FreshWater Fishes skin it keeps it healthy)

also GSP are brackish puffers not marine so do not require as much salt as marine water, your GSP needs a specific gravity of salt of 1.010 to 1.015. That means you need to Add 450 grams of Marine Salt to every 2.5 Gallons of freshwater, 3tsp is not enough so right now your Puffer is living in freshwater!!!!

Aquarium salt is usually used to treat different diseases among other things. I get my marine salt for about 16 dollars for a 15 pound bag. Remember though when you do water changes like you will do a lot of cycling your tank you will have to add it each time. I just get my bucket put some in the fill the bucket up the water hitting the bucket stirs it up pretty goos then I use a wooding spoon to stir it up more. When you first put it in seeing how you will have to drain the tank you can put the salt straight in the tank and stir it up good since the fish won't be in there. But once the fish is in there dont add the salt directly to the tank it could burn the fish. Some people use air stones to help it dissolve. If you ever have to top your tank off just use freshwater no salt because salt doesn't evaporate.

Aquarium Salt is a basic salt very similar to salt we eat. Aquarium Salt is used in freshwater tanks to add a little tonic to it ie(Aquarium Salt is good for FreshWater Fishes skin it keeps it healthy)

also GSP are brackish puffers not marine so do not require as much salt as marine water, your GSP needs a specific gravity of salt of 1.010 to 1.015. That means you need to Add 450 grams of Marine Salt to every 2.5 Gallons of freshwater, 3tsp is not enough so right now your Puffer is living in freshwater!!!!
i understand the brackish and specific gravity levels but your saying i have to replace all the water, then put in the marine salt, and also let it cycle again?????

Most reactions

Back