Streesing Over Current Stock!

Johnlenham

Fish Crazy
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Lenham,Nr Maidstone. Kent
:S
God Community setups are haaarddd. My betta so easy to please food-heater-filter and soem stuff to explore but I cant seem to get my community right.

Ive got
A Bolivian ram. Hes probably my favourite in there and the Mrs loves him
1 Honey Gourami (M) Hes lovely and active but seems an aggressive sod
9 Diamond Neon tetras Nice dither fish whcih are fun to watch
4 Corys (3 Bronze 1 Albino) Fun and active and my Albino is great

At first everything was fine but now the gourami is being aggressive to the corys, the tetras are staying firmly in one corner and I cant tell if there scared of the Ram or the gourami and my Bronzes are starting to get beefy and I need to rehome them!

Any advise lol?

All I can come up with is take in my Corys for store credit... other than that im stumped. I could get 2 female honeys and see if that helps the tetras out OR I could also take the gourami back with the corys and get maybe an Oto or some pygmy corys and another Ram. But what if its the ram being mean then what :no: Though saying that I added 5 tetras the same day as the gourami so it probably is him...

So confused! :S
 
Hi Johnlenham :)

You are right about getting a good mix in a community tank being hard. There's a lot more to it than just getting some fish and putting them in a tank together. That's why I like to see members posting here to get advice from members who have had experience with different combinations. No matter how many times that question is asked, it's still important to the individual members.

Are you sure the fish you have is really a honey gourami? They are not usually aggressive like the bigger ones. :unsure:
 
Yeah well ive atleast seen him attempt to nip the corys, He hasn't messed with the Ram as hes alot bigger than him

This isn't mine but looks identical
Colisa%20chuna%20Red.JPG


Thats what I thought about them too hence why I got him.. maybe the ram is scaring the tetras but the 4 I had got along fine with him, when the number went to 9 (the day I added the gourami)they started huddling in the bottom right corner :(

P8250071.jpg
 
Nope its definitely a Honey.. but now the lights are off the Honeys in his corner right up top, the neons are all over the place and the rams just in his normal spots -_- Stupid fish :rolleyes:

I will definitely have to rehome the 3 Bronzes as they are the victims of his nipping and they also are going to outgrow my tank (or atleast become the 3 largest) even now the biggest rivals the Ram in size which is sad as there the easiest to please of the lot!

Also it would be a hell of alot eaiser to work out the nipper if i had a spare heater as I could stick one (ram or guri)in my 2.5 for a day and see how the tetras react..

Oh here we go

From: Iain
Date:07/11/2002
I found that these fish can be pretty aggressive whilst they are still juveniles. Attacking anything that is in the aquarium. "
From
Honey profile
 
Hi Johnlenham :)

I'm sorry to hear you will have to rehome your corys. Thanks for the link.
 
Just bumping this as im off out and hope some people see it as im going to attempt to get to the fish shop later today.

Any suggestions as to what would be the best setups if I had only

1 Bolivian Ram(I think- is male) or the Ram and the Gourami (M)?

Thinking of taking all the others back and trying to get it right from the start..

Maybe 2 Female gouris and an oto or something? I have fresh green algea appearing + sinking waffers so he should be ok.
 
Just bumping this as im off out and hope some people see it as im going to attempt to get to the fish shop later today.

Any suggestions as to what would be the best setups if I had only

1 Bolivian Ram(I think- is male) or the Ram and the Gourami (M)?

Thinking of taking all the others back and trying to get it right from the start..

Maybe 2 Female gouris and an oto or something? I have fresh green algea appearing + sinking waffers so he should be ok.


I wonder - with regards to the neons staying in the corner when the light is on:

Are there plenty of places of cover for them to wander around? The light may be too bright for them.

I found when i had neons that they would often move to a place where they had a nice fast water flow and could swim to their hearts content. When i turned the light off the shock of the light going out would make them swim around until they settled back into their corner once more.

with the Gourami, Yeah, if you have space, get him some ladies. But It would be worth checking the shop will take them back. If he shows signe sof agression and the agression doesnt fade over a few days, take them back to the shop. You may just have a mean fish. It happens.

Good luck
 
Thanks for the response. Sitting here now and the neons are out and about (light is off) Theres pretty much nothing in terms of floating plants (no where seems to sell them!)but there's a fair few Amazons along with a coconut cave,plant pot and some bogwood/slate caverns so no idea.

The gouramis calmed down abit since I added the small floating plant in the far corner but I still want to re home the corys due to there size 4 Corys for 2 female gouramis should mean ive lowered my stocking aswell :good:
 
Thanks for the response. Sitting here now and the neons are out and about (light is off) Theres pretty much nothing in terms of floating plants (no where seems to sell them!)but there's a fair few Amazons along with a coconut cave,plant pot and some bogwood/slate caverns so no idea.

The gouramis calmed down abit since I added the small floating plant in the far corner but I still want to re home the corys due to there size 4 Corys for 2 female gouramis should mean ive lowered my stocking aswell :good:


Neons do seem to like more heavily planted tanks, so I wonder if you could add some extra greenery, even just one of 2 shoots. Then see if they hang around the planted bit more. Might even be able to get a few freebies of the guys in the planted tanks section.

Gouramis do like surface plants, and plants that reach the top. I think they like the cover it gives and so they feel secure.

Sad about the Bronze cories. They are such busy characters. You'll have to get a smaller breed of cory to take their place or believe me - the tank will suddenly look empty.
 
Yeah the corys are great pygmy corys are about all that could work I think, Id like to at least keep my albino but one on his own is not the best way to keep them :/
 

Most reactions

Back
Top