Stray Cats

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crossfire

Cogito Ergo Sum
Reaction score
In our neighborhood is a notorius stray tortoishell female cat, we put out food for her but she is too feral to be approached and runs away from humans. She has a single kitten, very skinny. The mommy cat is very sick and has a prolapsed uterus and is on her last leg. But the kitten is more accepting of humans, and we've spotted him in our yard going after birds and drinking from the birdbath. He's too young to go it solo, and it's illegal to put out humane traps without a permit around here and our animal control services are a bunch of useless nincompoops. Does anyone have any suggestions to save the little guy? We're putting out dry food and clean water, but he'll bolt if he approach him.

I was going to say use a humane trap, jeeze what a crazy law
rolleyes.gif

I used to catch strays with them all the time! Put it somewhere sneaky, no one will ever know!

devil.gif

I was going to say use a humane trap, jeeze what a crazy law
rolleyes.gif

I used to catch strays with them all the time! Put it somewhere sneaky, no one will ever know!

devil.gif

It''s because people might accidentally catch other people's cats or whatever hokey nonsense they use.

This is the People's Republic of Montgomery County, get used to it. Personal fireworks are illegal in the state of Maryland, because people might get "hurt". You want a 4th of July show? Either drive to Virginia or go to a crowded predetermined firework show :/

hmm, I would say put food out and sit like close to it and don't call it or acknowledge it for the first couple "sessions". Only have food out when your out there. I think if you took time and let the kitten get used to you being around it may get more comfortable and eventually let you touch and maybe pick it up.

He'll eventually get hungry enough and just go for it! Especially if you put out something more enticing than dry food. This would take time though, I don't know if you have it or are willing to do it but those are just my thoughts! :good:

good luck!

Could you not hide the trap from peoples view?

I agree that in this case, if you really can't risk using a trap, then it'll be best to take your time with him. As has been said show that your a food bringer, and sit there while he eats. Have it far away at first but move it closer to you every time you feed him. Just a bit at a time. Always sit in the same place. At first don't move but I would very quietly talk to him. Anything you like, doesn't have to make sense! I had a cat that started out as a stray and it was our voices that got her curious. Eventually she'd come and cry on the bin outside for food and in the end she even had her kittens in the house : 3 We kept her after that and she loved to have a warm house again with a lovely toasty fireplace to sleep near. It was well worth the weeks of waiting for her to trust us.

Cats are clever. He will learn that your a good thing, that your an advantage, but it's going to take time. Maybe a long time. He's learnt from mummy that people are scary things that could be dangerous and he now needs to learn that your not like that. But honestly, it's well worth it 'cause they love you forever : )

Most reactions

trending

Back