Strange Way To Die...

confusion

Fishaholic
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
573
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Atlanta, GA
I had a swordtail in a 55G tank that i raised from a fry. It's siblings grew normally, but it stayed quite small - maybe 1/2" to 3/4". Anyhow, that fish was very peculiar. It would wedge itself between a breeding net and the glass - backing out and swimming away if I approached the tank (presumably because it thought it was going to be fed). Anyhow, it had many odd behaviors for a long time (about 1.5 years or so). In the 55G, I made the terrible mistake of letting some LFS duckweed sit at the top. Before long, duckweed covered the entire tank and was about 2" think. I noticed that my swordtail's fry were surviving in the duckweed mat, so I let it stay. Well, yesterday I went in to feed the fish and found the crazy little swordtail dried out and dead on top of the duckweed. It would seem that it's desire to worm into tight little spaces was it's undoing. It was a cool little fish and will be missed :(
 
there.gif
so sorry!
 
Aw, he really did sound like a cutie. My deepest sympathies. :-(
 
how he managed to get through the duck weed in the first place is amazing if it was that thick.What a suicidal fish!!! I had a congo tetra that wedged itself in a hole in some bogwood it obviously thought it was smaller than it actually was. :crazy:
 
Or bless him R.I.P.
He sounded like a little cool fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top