Stop me!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

One of my wanting a is to have a 100gal tank well setup with goldfish I think they are beautiful. If you can do it, get them

I'm getting the tank. Whether the fish will still be there when I get the tank set up is another issue. I can'
uh oh! haha

Just to add to confusion....look into oscars too.
Man do they have personality! I had one for about 8 years (years ago) that lived with a Jack Dempsy. The oscar was like a dog. Fun fish. He'd get so excited to see me and get fed that he jumped out of the tank numerous times. Had to be veeeerrryyy careful opening the lid on that tank!

If you're on Instagram look into Goldfish keepers.
A great one is miss.fancygoldfish
and google einstein the disabled goldfish (lifejacket)

I'm getting the tank! Yay! Whether the fish will still be there when I get the tank set up is another issue. I can't rush it though. I know better than that. I just have to breeeeathe and let it happen in its own time. (Impatiently drumming fingers).

I have been thinking about oscars as well, so funny you should mention that! I was thinking they might be better for a 90 gallon tank minimum and I think I would rather have a 75 gallon tank in the living room considering size and weight. I do really want an oscar though. Everyone says they are awesome. I am concerned about them destroying the equipment though. I've read that they can trash the heater and all of the other things in the aquarium. Did you find that with yours?

I will look up the instagram pages you mentioned. I googled the life jacket and I can't get over it. It is simultaneously heart warming and heart breaking. It is something no sane person would do and yet so totally something I could see myself doing. It's like you said, with those little puppy-dog faces, you just want to cuddle them! :wub:

I think I will let my husband decide which he prefers. I just CANNOT make decisions sometimes.

these fish can live up to 20 years with 10-15 being very common

I have resently read that some gold fish don't stop growing. Meaning for each year they can add an inch of length for each year of age. So a gold fish at 20 years of age would be 20 inches long. If it lives to 40, 40 inches long. The Sturgeon is the same way the largest one caught was about 1100 lbs and was 12 feet 4 inches long. For most. Tropical fish and in fact most fish and animals stop growing at some point in there life.

since my bronze cories keep making more bronze cories and I need another tank to put them in

talk to your local fish store. Some stores are willing to purchase excess fish and sell them if they are healthy. You probably won't make much money or even non at all but it would keep your population under control.

When I had oscars they didn't destroy the equipment, they just uprooted every plant. They're very energetic, mine would always follow me across the tank, and acted much like dogs.

I've read that they can trash the heater and all of the other things in the aquarium. Did you find that with yours?
I adored my Oscar very much. Like I said, he was housed with a Jack Demspy, who was stunning but not anywhere near as interactive as the Oscar. He was seriously like a little water dog living in a tank.
He did not destroy anything other than uprooting plants. I had to have stupid fake plants and he didn't mess with those. He never touched my heater or anything else of importance.

I had a Green Terror before him and HE DESTROYED everything. I could hear him from 3 rooms away just having at the tank. I'd come into the room and all of the gravel.....I mean ALL... would be pushed up against one side of the tank. He was the strangest most destructive fish I ever came across. I brought him back to the store because obviously I couldn't give him what he wanted....which was apparently world domination.

I googled the life jacket and I can't get over it. It is simultaneously heart warming and heart breaking. It is something no sane person would do and yet so totally something I could see myself doing.
and I see quite a few people that have done similar things to help their goldies (who apparently fall victim to swim blatter pretty easily). And yes, I'd be one of them too! ha

When I had oscars they didn't destroy the equipment, they just uprooted every plant. They're very energetic, mine would always follow me across the tank, and acted much like dogs.
Yep! Totally!

My oscar watches late night tv with me
ha, adorable!

I had a Green Terror before him and HE DESTROYED everything. I could hear him from 3 rooms away just having at the tank. I'd come into the room and all of the gravel.....I mean ALL... would be pushed up against one side of the tank. He was the strangest most destructive fish I ever came across. I brought him back to the store because obviously I couldn't give him what he wanted....which was apparently world domination.
Ha ha! You are so funny! Sounds like the Green Terror was appropriately named!

Ha ha! You are so funny! Sounds like the Green Terror was appropriately named!
indeed he was and i was legitimately scared of him....it was only a matter of time before he bust thru those glass walls and came for me! I handed him back over to the fish store and peeled out of the parking lot!

indeed he was and i was legitimately scared of him....it was only a matter of time before he bust thru those glass walls and came for me! I handed him back over to the fish store and peeled out of the parking lot!
:rofl:

I saw 2 adorable goldfish (oranda, I think?) in the LFS. I want them soooo much but I think it makes more sense to have another tropical tank since my bronze cories keep making more bronze cories and I need another tank to put them in. But, I really really really like these 2.
Cons to getting the goldfish:
1. I don't know if they can be in a tank with HOB filters and I have no experience with canisters.
2. Hubs is restricting me to a "small" tank, so I'll probably end up with a 38 gallon tank. Is that even big enough? I'd love to have a black moore too, I'm sure 3 would be pushing it for sure.
3. I wouldn't be able to put the extra cories in it.
4. Those particular fish are way more expensive than the others because they are bigger. ($32 compared to $5 - $7 for the smaller ones).

Pros to getting the goldfish:
1. The kids love them
2. I love them
3. Look at those faces...
View attachment 82797

What would you do?
Hi. I have a huge cold water tank for my Goldfish and Blackmores. Goldfish and Blackmore get pretty big. 1 of Blackmores is 4 years old and is already 7 inches. 2 of my veil tail Goldfish are also 4 years old and 6 inches. They are great fish to keep and easier (in my opinion) than tropical fish (I have a tropical tank also) but Goldfish and Blackmores do get big and tend to be messy. My tank has a built in filter system which uses sponges and an added carbon bag and I do a 50% water change every week. They are very rewarding fish to keep. Best of luck

Is 38 gallons too small for 2? I've read that it is an appropriate size for 2, although too small for 3. There is so much conflicting information about goldfish on the internet right now. From various sources, I've read that this type grows anywhere from 6 - 12 inches, that they should be kept without heaters and that they cannot be kept without heaters, that the minimum size is anything from 10 gallons to 75 gallons. If a 38 is too small, then how about a 55 gallon? Also, do you know how quickly they grow? That is another thing that I read widely conflicting information about.
Goldfish do not need heaters. It's true that when kept in smaller tanks it can stunt the growth a bit but don't count on it. I'm not home right now otherwise I would post a picture of my Goldfish for you.

Most reactions

Back