Stone Age Ireland

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cian McLiam

Ye Olde Irish Tank Guy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Some people might already know that I've been criss-crossing Ireland over the last two years or so finding and photographing Irelands ancient tombs, stone circles and standing stones, here's a quick taster of the delights to be found among the hedges, sheep and cows :)

You meet a lot of stones travelling across Ireland, most of these have been standing for over 6,000 years since they were put there by people in the stone age.

KilclooneyBW.jpg

Kilclooney More Dolmen, Co. Donegal

Haroldstown004.jpg

Haroldstown Dolmen, Co. Carlow

Proleekbw.jpg

Proleek Dolmen, Co. Louth. The stone on top is over 5m high and weighs 60 tonnes

GiantsRing067.jpg

The Giants Ring Henge and Passage Tomb, Belfast, Co. Down

GiantsRing056.jpg

The Giants Ring, Belfast

CorkStones064.jpg

An Seisear Stone Row, Co. Cork

Sunrise12.jpg

Poulnabrone Dolmen, Co. Clare

Cork-Kerry3033a.jpg

Uragh Stone Circle, Co. Kerry

Cork-Kerry027desat.jpg

Drombohilly Stone Circle, Co. Kerry

Absolutely stunning!
:nod:

You're camera skills are even better when it's not fish pics Cian - not that I ever thought that was possible.

Would you be adverse to people using some of them as desktop backgrounds?

Someday I'll be a photographer like that, kinda interested in it, I have fun playin with my rebel a lot. Who knows Ken, we have the same last name so we might be long lost relatives :eek: (then again about 2/3rds of the people in the UK have the last name Williams..)

Rumour had it you were producing a book on the subject Cian - any news?

Great pic, but think this one is fabulous Uragh Stone Circle, Co. Kerry

Thanks for looking and all the nice comments :)

Rumour had it you were producing a book on the subject Cian - any news?

Its partially written but I'm still finding lots to research. Ancient sites attract completely polar attitudes from the mystic to the purely academic, trying to work out where the people that actually built them fit in is quite difficult! That said, the only way publishers will consider full four colour printing is a coffee table type book, their way or no way. Expect delivery in 2035 :)

Most reactions

trending

Back