Stocking suggestions for 112l tank (80cm x 35cm x 40cm) (almost 30 US Gal.)

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My water from the well is around 7.2pH and around 13°dH (German scale). So I guess it is slightly hard.

I've kept Chindongo/Pseudotropheus Saulosi successfully. They changed their latin name not that long ago, that's why I wrote down both, old and new.
To make my water harder I've used limestone as decor there, and they were spawning like crazy. Never lost any.
Get rid of them because I had aroung 90kg of stone in 240 litre tank, most of it elevated, and I was a little bit scared those crazy animals would knock few over and crack the 8mm glass.

So water parameters I can manage :)
I've set the water temp to 25 celcius.

I don't know whether or not I'll use some wood - but I think it would look better, more natural. I think I'm going to use pebbles/boulders (pretty big, 10cm an more). Just have to find some in my area. So I'll be able to stack them to some extend, but not like crazy. That's where driftwood would come in handy.

Will keep you posted. Once again, thanks.

Water sounds perfect 👍

Water sounds perfect 👍
Finally got 3 Nanoluteus - the guy had them with some other cichlids (similar size) and while catching them we spotted the third one. Even he didn't know about her/him.
Of course everyone knows exactly how this could end - we saw the pair, went inside with fishnet and... all turned pale. Almost white as sand. The same size, everything so neither I, neither him knew which 2 were "the" 2. So I said to him that I'll take all three and will observe them in my tank. Later I'll give it away to a petstore or something if it's going to be bullied.
I only hope that "the third" won't be the most dominant and won't kill one from the pair - but it's 2v1 so I have high hopes it won't happen.

Couldn't get my hands on gold barbs unfotunately though...

Currently I'm attaching some red moor wood to rocks with aquarium suited silicone (I'll toss it in after few days, when it's 100% cured). Now they only have 7 pretty big boulders. Around 30kg total.

I could go for black sand, or at least a little bit darker one, instead I have natural looking one.
They would have better colours for sure with such sand at the bottom - but I don't trust those... I don't know if it's going to affect the water and whatnot so I'll stick with 100% pure, natural sand.

Going to be blacking out one side and back of the tank though.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them, but for now all three of them are going under and behind the rocks whenever I come closer than 1m from the tank. Maybe when feeding they'll come hang out :)

Ok, I'm going to try upload something to youtube so you could see more/better.
I'm not 100% sure if all three of them are Nanoluteus. One is different. I think it's the most agressive as well. More pale/white, with red stripe on its dorsal fin?
Also, I have no idea whether or not I've got male and female (the other two). I have a feeling they're both males - none of them have that black/dark spot on dorsal fin.

The different one:
whos that.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20211230_162440.jpg
    MVIMG_20211230_162440.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 28
  • MVIMG_20211230_162440.jpg
    MVIMG_20211230_162440.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
They look really good :) I think the third one that looks different is a cryptoheros panamensis which is probably the most aggressive convict relative going lol. So I would try and separate them asap.

In terms of the two Nanoluteus I do happen to think they are 2 males too but one of them could be a stressed female as the fins look quite rounded?

They look really good :) I think the third one that looks different is a cryptoheros panamensis which is probably the most aggressive convict relative going lol. So I would try and separate them asap.

In terms of the two Nanoluteus I do happen to think they are 2 males too but one of them could be a stressed female as the fins look quite rounded?
I messaged the guy whether or not he has cryptoheros panamensis as well (if it's possible that they were in the same tank).
When they were all stressed there they all looked the same (pale).

Yes, one of them has more rounded fins, but I think they are both males as well, no dark spot on dorsal fin. Is it possible that a female wouldn't had it? Or would get that "color scheme" later?

Photo of the "other one" (better quality):

inna rybka.jpg

It even has different type of body shape.

Don't mind the background - work in progress :)

Got an update from the seller - it's not panamensis, it's cryptoheros cutteri. They were swimming in one tank, divided into two separate sections. One must've jumped over to the other side.
Offered me refund, but they weren't THAT expensive so I didn't bother getting that money back.

He says the other two (nanoluteus) are in fact a pair. He once had a pair where female didn't have the dark spot on dorsal fin. Will see. If they are going to fight (won't be a pair) he will have more available in month or two when they grow up to around 3cm, so I'll go there again and take a group with me. Let them decide who wants to be in pair with who :)

The cryptoheros cutteri I'm giving away on monday to my local fish store. Would be sooner but the owner is currently away, and he will choose a tank for him/her (will take the fish for sure though).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back