Stocking question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nouse4aname

Reaction score
I recently adopted a 48 gallon tank along with the existing fish.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some compatibility advice, as I'm not sure that was looked into when they stocked this tank. I assume some additional parameters will be required, which I'll have to test later. But the tank is 40" long, and water temp is around 75f.
Here is the current stock:
1 angel fish, 1 Bala Shark, 2 siamese algae eaters, 1 flying fox, 1 stick catfish, 1 small cory, 1 glow light, 2 neon and 1 rummynose tetra. And then two other small tetras which I've yet to identify.

Ideally I would like to add a few more tetras (either neon or cardinal) to form a shoal. And maybe 1 or 2 gouramis, but that may be pushing it.
Also I have a Fluval 305 external filter.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

All tetras and barbs should be kept in groups of 10 or more.
Bala Sharks (aka silver sharks) are a schooling fish that grow to about 12 inches long and need a huge tank.
Can you provide pictures or scientific names of the stick catfish and Siamese algae eaters?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

----------------------------
What experience do you have with keeping fish?
Do you know how to clean the filter?

Bala Sharks (aka silver sharks) are a schooling fish that grow to about 12 inches long and need a huge tank.
Can you provide pictures or scientific names of the stick catfish and Siamese algae eaters?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Thanks for the reply!
Without actually testing, here is the data from my local water supplier:

Calcium: 6.60 ppm
Sulfate: 16.00 ppm
Magnesium: 0.42 ppm
Chloride: 8.00 ppm
Sodium: 11.80 ppm
Alkalinity (as CaCO3): 14.5
Bicarbonate: 17.70 ppm
PH: 7.30

Wow I had no idea the Bala shark would get that big. Is it better to re-home it now or wait till it grows bigger. Its only about 3 inches now.
I'll add some pictures and full tank dimensions once I get home.
I've had some smaller fish tanks in the past, but this is my first above 20 gallons. As far as the filter, I've been doing some reading, but any extra tips would be great as my past experience was only with over the tank filters.

I would rehome the Bala Shark immediately. Not only does this fish grow too large, it must have a group and that means a very large tank. The longer it is on its own, the more stress and closer to real trouble for the poor fish.

Considering the tank size, I would also recommend rehoming the two SAE and the Flying Fox. These fish too are shoaling, but they will also likely begin to dislike one another, and when they attain their mature size of 6 inches this can be very problematic. They also limit other fish.

Once the above are gone, increase the cories to a dozen or more (same or mixed species) assuming you like cories; otherwise, rehome the lone cory before it becomes so stressed it has other problems.

The angelfish can stay, now that it is here. You will just have to be careful with tankmates to avoid fish small enough to be eaten and avoid fin nippers. We can discuss options once the immediate problems are resolved, as that is your first task.

Thanks for the replies! I will definitely look into rehoming the Bala shark as soon as possible. And the 2 SAE and the flying fox do seem to dislike each other. I'll add some pictures. From the descriptions I've been reading I'm pretty sure they are true siamese algae eaters and a flying fox. The fox likes to be alone and the other 2 stick together. Perhaps I could try to keep the flying fox and rehome the 2 SAE?
Also, I tested the pH level at 7.0
And the tank dimensions are: 39.5" long, by 16"wide and 20" tall.
I've identified the other 2 tetras as red minors, so I will also rehome them since they're not enough for a school. Then I'll have room for some more Corys.
I'll be getting a test kit this weekend and I'll post the results.
I'll have to look up how to add pictures to a post.

I would re-home the Flying Fox as well, as this is going to mean no substrate fish (like the cories). The Flying Fox is solitary in its habitat and thus should be kept singly in the aquarium; it is very territorial with its own kind and should be kept as a solitary specimen as it will attack its own kind, and will get more aggressive with age. Otherwise, it is a relatively peaceful fish that can be kept in a community of barbs, danios, gouramis, rasbora, and larger tetras. Substrate fish must be very carefully chosen, and even then the individual temperament of the subject fish may or may not tolerate them; catfish and any species in the related genera must be avoided. Near-substrate fish such as cichlids should not be housed with this species.

The Red Minor Tetras should also go, agreed. This species is a known fin nipper so it needs at least 10 in the group and then never combnined with sedate or long-fin fish...but even so it may still pose problems.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back