Stocking Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kiriyama

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have a tank that is 6' long , 18" wide and 24" high, filtration is by two fluval FX5, I currently keep various Tanganyikan cichlids including Tropheus and shell dwellers, this tank will be empty soon as I will be movong stock to other tank(s)...
I am loking for a change, my first tank was 30" 20gall and held various tetras etc, as usual was way over stocked....
What I am wondering is, what would you folks here keep in this tank ? Like the idea opf shoaling fish and a few nice plecs (have BN at the moment),
any feedback appreciated, cheers, Sean

+1 to the above, or you could have rainbow fish - there are several different kinds, some rarer than others, so you could have a big shoal of one kind or have smaller shoals of a few kinds. They grow to varying sizes, the smallest being the threadfin which won't grow any bigger than about 1.5".

A big group of 10 Triportheus angulatus (at Wildwoods) would love that sort of space and filtration.

Alternatively, a big group (20+) of Pareutropius buffei would look superb!

Then there are the likes of Giant Danios, Filament Barbs, possibly even a Flagtail Prochilodus/Characin group.

Cheers for the responses and suggestions , I have only seen congo tetras once in LFS and they were very eye catching, really nice. Not to fussed with the big hatchet fish but heh hoh each to there own, the flagtails look awesome, very tempting, never even heard of them before :blush:
I have hade the dwarf neon rainbows in the past and they were pretty nice and fairly easy to keep so food for thought. I was originall thinking big shoal of Lemon Tetras, small shoal of Emperor tetras but thinking more along the congos or flagtails. What others can I keep with these ?

Cheers, Sean

Pretty much any non-aggressive shoaling fish that's not going to exceed 6" or try and eat the lemons would look good. Look on somewhere like here for a pretty good list of tetra species etc. I wouldn't necessarily get fish from there as no-one seems to have experience of buying there and to me seems a little too cheap, but you can certainly use it as a guide to look up any fish you like the look of and decide on suitability.

For Congo Tetra tankmates, you could do a classic African oddball tank...

1 or 3+African Bufferly Fish
10+ Synodontis nigriventris
10+ Congo Tetra
3+ Ctenopoma acutirostre
5+ Synodontis alberti/decora/ [petricola/longipinnis/multipunctata/grandiops... but these are Tanganyikan as I'm sure you know, so less of a biotope and they do need harder water than everything else]

Alternatively, you could go for 10+ Brycinus longipinnis; 15+ Pareutropius buffei/debauwi; 10+ Arnoldichthys spilopterus... with perhaps a dwarf cichlid pair/group or some more conventional bottom dwelling synos

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back