Stocking Plan

barb-e

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Michigan, United States
How does this stocking plan sound?
  • 4 cherry barbs
  • 4 panda cories
  • 1 betta
This is for my new(and first) 10 gallon tank.
Do you think it will work? :nod: :no:
 
sounds ok... the corries will be happy for sure so will the cherry barbs, but the betta may get it's fins nipped badly by the barbs, I recommend no betta but more corries :D try 6 corrys, 6 cherry barbs and some other kind of non long finned centre peice fish :D
 
I agree with Fate. Aside from possibly getting its fins nipped the Betta could also terrorize the barbs. Bettas are not very good in a community tank. It is of course different with each betta, but it is a risk to keep one with other fish. Alos, keep in mind panda corries are fairly sensitive and need a mature tank in order to thrive. So, I wouldn't add them for at least 6 months. HTH!
 
Not all Barbs nip at fins. Cherry Barbs are very peaceful and the Betta wouldn't bother them either unless you got a nutcase one, which is rare. That stocking sounds fine to me just keep an eye on things.
 
Not all Barbs nip at fins. Cherry Barbs are very peaceful and the Betta wouldn't bother them either unless you got a nutcase one, which is rare. That stocking sounds fine to me just keep an eye on things.


Cherry barbs can be pretty nipping IME, I had 2 in with a male betta and my bettas tail was shreded in a week... also cherry barbs can be dominant when it comes to teriotory
 
Not all Barbs nip at fins. Cherry Barbs are very peaceful and the Betta wouldn't bother them either unless you got a nutcase one, which is rare. That stocking sounds fine to me just keep an eye on things.


Cherry barbs can be pretty nipping IME, I had 2 in with a male betta and my bettas tail was shreded in a week... also cherry barbs can be dominant when it comes to teriotory


The problem with your barbs nipping ur betta is because there was only 2. Cherry Barbs should be kept in schools of 4 minimum, 5 to be safe. The more the better tbh but in a school they wont bother a Betta.
 
Kniesh is right. Cherry Barbs should be kept in groups of 4 or 5 when with Bettas. Cherrry Barbs won't take aggression out on Bettas if its kept in a group of this amount.
 
That's what folks said about my rosy barbs too, but they're nippy buggers even when they're in a big group. I'd leave out the betta, the cherry barbs are prettier ;)
 
Bloody Rosy Barbs (their proper name, not me being rude!) are known to be a more aggressive barb. Cherry barbs on the other hand aren't. In fact, as I write this on my laptop i'm sat in front of one of my tanks that currently housese 5 cherry barbs and a betta (two different betta's over the last 3 months) with no problems at all.
Barb-e your original stocking plan is fine, except it's better to up the numbers of Cherry Barbs.
 
Never heard them called that before, are you not thinking of black rubies? And I was told by several people that rosies are more peaceful than cherries. Each to their own lol. I dont like bettas anyway, so doesn't change my suggestion. They're frilly, they're prone to dying on you, and they're not even that pretty.
 
Yeah I always thought it was Bloody Rosy Barbs! (not to say i'm not wrong, I usually am!)
Anyways, even if you don't like bettas, it's barb-e stocking list and in answer to his question, yes it will work.
BTW LisaLQ that's a lovely plec in your avatar :drool: Give me now!! :fun:
 
sounds ok... the corries will be happy for sure so will the cherry barbs, but the betta may get it's fins nipped badly by the barbs, I recommend no betta but more corries :D try 6 corrys, 6 cherry barbs and some other kind of non long finned centre peice fish :D

thats too many for a 10g, unless you are doing weekly water changes. that is, unless you get some very sm (1 in) corydoras
 

Most reactions

Back
Top