Stocking levels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Aerating the water looks nice but it does a scientific job. I shall explain. You could keep fish in 2" of water if you had a large enough surface area. Back to basic biology. The term Osmosis and diffusion.(remember it) So if you have an average sized tank and you over stock it, the surface area where diffusion can take place is severely narrowed. This is because your fish need to breathe and diffusion cannot take place as atmospheric air needs to saturate the water by dissolving into the water for your fishes to absorb. So what aeration actually does is breaks the surface tension of the water creating more surface area so that air can dissolve into the water much more rapidly. With the water agitated and surface air being absorbed at a greater rate, diffusion takes place more rapidly ensuring all your inhabitants can get enough air to breathe. Does that clarify aeration? :laugh:

I thought thats what I said earlier.lol But thats the more detailed explanation. I'll just add that the O2 content in the water disapates the higher the water temp' is Thus a tropical marine or a tropical(generaly higher temps than freshwater,or is it the salt content that does it in this setup) needs to get more airation than a cold water for the fish to be happy,

Reg2k2 a lot of fun is being had here i see. For your tank the rule of thumb for a new tank(under 4 months old ) 1" per gallon of fish minus tail. For a tank older than 6 months LxW/12 = inches of fish minus tails. this means remembering to take 20% of for a new tank due to gravel ,plants and ornaments for your tank if new 12" of fish minus tails. If over 6 months old 24" of fish minus tails. Though these are only guide lines for small to medium community fish. other fish like Angels and Discus require when adults at lest 10gallons each and at least 18" of depth to the tank. So i concur with Davy your tank is fully stocked at the moment. I hope that made sense as i open by next beer.

Sorry Adeyc, didn't mean to steal your thunder. :laugh: It's my intellectual superiority over you minions. I'm in for it now,I can feel the wave of emotions coming out from you all. :laugh: :laugh:
Sorry all - did'nt mean it....really. An alien made me say it, actually I have an imp friend and it gets me into all sorts of bother. It makes be say and do things that I wouldn't do if I were sane(ish). I have a great job as customer services manager-I just blame the imp. :laugh:

I don't remember sending an imp to you? must be one of my adversaries work. if you ever want to sell me your soul though?????? :laugh:

Sorry you're too late, Rose has that!!!
I'll bequeath you what humanity I have left when I go, just to make you a better person???? :laugh: :laugh:

YESSSSSSS!!!!! One more soul for my collection. I promise not to use it for evil, so sayith the Horny Angel of evil. (anyone got a smily with horns I can borrow???) Rose

Kenliz,

24", you say?  Then 1/Peckoltia + 7/Tetras = I can get more fish, right?

Or did I miss something? Why do you say I'm stocked?

Reg. To cut to the chase, your stocking levels at the moment are perfect. I say this because you aren't experiencing any trouble. The bioload of your fish is being handled well with your set up. In a couple months, when your tank has matured, your ecosystem will handle additional fish. If you really feel the need, others will disagree, but I often considered small plecos and some catfish free of the equations because they eat detritus, therefore help clean.

The mad man from Michigan is right. I have the same view. As long as the tank is well airated adding a catfish or something that eats the detritus shouldn't upset the balance.

I was thinking of adding to smooth out the mix.  Currently, there are 5 tetras & the cat.

I was gonna hold off on new fish for now, though, since I'll probably be going on vacation in the next couple of months.  Won't it make it harder for the new fish to fit in if these are older (and, of course, used to the tank)?

So, I *think* this is just for reference at the mo.  Between Adeyc & Kenliz's formulas I come out the same:  Peckoltia + 10Tetras.  (And other cat's ;)   I do like cat's (even once thought of a species tank), but I'd hate to step on Mr.P's toes.

Everything seems fairly peaceful right now.  I may just leave it at 5.  I only worry about one of the Black Phantoms (hangin' out by himself in the back).

P.S.  Do new inhabitants affect the 'maturity' of the tank?  This tank was originally set up over 10yrs ago, then moved with wet gravel over 5yrs ago.

Reg, did not realize your tank was that mature. Sorry. I WOULD add another black tetra, they tend to like their own kind. But I would just get one of them. If you were to add a pair, they might not readily accept your single one.

And Reg, while your at the pet store, try a live plant. They are beneficial, and I didn't see any mention of you having any. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back