Stocking Ideas

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

finchfarm

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m a veteran fish hobby keeper and have kept everything from beginners fish (swordtails, guppies, etc), to more exotics including discus, knifefish, and a Pacu at one time.

I haven’t had any fish in a couple years after my 20-something year old Silver Dollar passed and I decided to renovate the room where my tank is, including repainting. I have a little bit of painting to finish up, and then I’ll be able to refill my tank, cycle it, and get some fish.

I currently have a 75 gallon tank, which measures 18x48 with a depth of 19. I will be keeping it freshwater. It’s set up with an AquaClear 110 filter. Other than that has black gravel, and a few faux plants (as the Silver Dollar was a live plant chomper) and other decor- since the tank is gutted at this point, I don’t mind if the gravel or decor gets scrapped, or I can keep it, either way).

The only major caveat I have with fish selection, is that even with a coral for a buffer and frequent water changes the pH in the tank runs consistently acidic (about 6.0 on the scale); LFS said that’s pretty normal for the water where I live and instead of fighting it and trying to manipulate the water chemistry, I just stick it with fish that will thrive where it naturally tends to set).

So, with all that in mind, given I’m restarting this tank from the ground up, do you have any ideas on fish I look into? Stay with gravel and fake decor? Try a natural substrate and real plants (inexperienced in this field)?

The hardness (GH) is the more critical parameter, do you know the GH of your source water? And the KH (Alkalinity) would be useful if they give it. Check their website if not already known. The pH will be determined by factors including the GH and KH. Dissolved CO2 factors in. Organic matter is another factor. But the overriding one is the GH/KH. The water authority may also add various substances to increase pH but these frequently dissipate out. Still useful to know. Let's assume soft water and a n acidic pH for the moment.

You have a wealth of options, and especially for this sized tank. I had a 4-foot 70g in my former fishroom (had to downsize to move) and it was a very serviceable size. Almost any fish from South America and SE Asia will work, water parameter wise. Do not consider any species from harder water. Do you have any preferences? You mention substrate, and if fish that live down there like Corydoras, loaches, etc are fish you like, a fine sand substrate is necessary.

As for aquascape, you can do live plants, or be very authentic with the habitats of soft water fish and confine the hardscape to chunks of wood, maybe some smooth river rock for highlights, and lots of floating plants. This can benefit in more ways than one, as fish from these soft water areas tend to avoid bright light, and will sparkle with a good cover of floating plants, and these are "ammonia sinks."

Source water is 5 GH. I don’t see a measurement listed for the KH.

That is soft, but I see you are in Florida so I should ask if this is the source water straight from the city, or is it going through a softener of yours?

Excellent. Browse away, you only have about 2,000 fish species to consider! I would get sand, and you can use an inert aquarium sand which will be considerably more expensive, or something as cheap as Quikrete Play Sand which is what I had for 10+ years. My cories upending themselves in this was a real delight.

Excellent. Browse away, you only have about 2,000 fish species to consider! I would get sand, and you can use an inert aquarium sand which will be considerably more expensive, or something as cheap as Quikrete Play Sand which is what I had for 10+ years. My cories upending themselves in this was a real delight.
How is the sand with cleaning? I’ve only had gravel.

How is the sand with cleaning? I’ve only had gravel.

Assuming all else is equal, sand should be easier to keep clean because vacuuming into it is not needed as much as with gravel which captures larger bits and they do not get broken down as easily by bacteria. This is one of the primary reasons for using sand with substrate fish--they are not being exposed to bacterial issues as they often are over gravel. Barbel loss on cories is actually more often due to bacteria in the gravel or other non-sand substrate (the plant substrates are very bad for this) than from sharpness, though this is also an issue with any substrate.

I had sand in all my tanks for 10 years. Some were never touched by the water changer, and some were though this was plant matter more than fish waste. My cory tank was never touched, but every time I disturbed the sand to move a plant or whatever, the minimal mulm stirred up was further proof of the biological superiority of sand. :fish:

With sand, hold the siphon tube half an inch above the sand and make tiny swirling movements which will lift the debris off the sand to where it can be sucked up. If you use a bucket, any sand that is sucked up can be rinsed and put back in the tank.

Also handy with sand is a large turkey baster....spot cleaning the sand (such as left over food) and to release any pockets of noxious gasses without upsetting anyone (a quick puff and suck with the baster usually does the trick, especially if you find blackish sand that smells bad...puff to aerate and suck to get rid of the muck)

Most reactions

Back