Stocking ideas for large tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DemureGirl

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 450l that I'm looking for stocking idea for

I quite like the idea of a community setup with lots of smaller sized fish with lots of low maintenance plants (and depending on the stocking possibly some crystal reds, or failing that amanos)

My water is soft and alkaline. Its been a few years since I stocked a tank so I'm a bit rusty on what's available. I'd love to hear any suggestions

Hello! I have a 450l that I'm looking for stocking idea for

I quite like the idea of a community setup with lots of smaller sized fish with lots of low maintenance plants (and depending on the stocking possibly some crystal reds, or failing that amanos)

My water is soft and alkaline. Its been a few years since I stocked a tank so I'm a bit rusty on what's available. I'd love to hear any suggestions
What is the PH of your tap after letting it sit out over night? And what is the KH (carbonate hardness) as well as the GH (general hardness)

A lot of people are buying fish online, which is a bit of a crapshoot. I do it if I know the seller personally, but otherwise, what you don't see is what you get. So I'd suggest a local source.
I have zero idea what local is for you. What is available where you are can be radically different from what I can get where I am. A good strategy is to visit the stores around you, if it is safe with the pandemic where you are, and compile a list of what catches your eye. Look them up so you have a grounding, and then with the water info, ask about the fish in question. With looking them up, you protect yourself from getting wrong advice from someone who presents well but has way less experience than you.

I could suggest fish I've seen locally that would never be imported where you are. Every market is different, and outside of the chain stores, people tend to stock what works with local conditions. I was in England before COVID and the basic stock in good stores was very exciting, with some stuff I had only seen in photos appearing pretty basically available.

Sounds like an interesting project! There are a few ways you could do this either with big numbers of a few species or medium numbers of more species. I’d be tempted to do the first one with schools of 50+ of each species and some stand out characters within that nano kind of vibe. One of my favourite nano fish are black tiger badis and I’ve never seen them kept in a big tank or in substantial numbers imagine a group of 15-20 in this tank would look awesome. I’d be tempted to keep it Asian from there too with a big school of neon green rasbora big group of clown killifish and some sparkling gourami for the bottom id look at rosy loaches and some dwarf hara moth cats.

That’s based on you having soft water though so some exact numbers would be cool 😎

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back